Custom final attempt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vick

Status
Not open for further replies.

vick

This is a Jr Gents solid body in maple burl with a custom final. I was pretty happy with this all in all.

20062127263_MapleBurlJrClosed.jpg

200621272724_MapleBurlJrOpen.jpg

Comments and critiques are appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Originally posted by pastorbill1952
<br /> Like the finial but was wondering what it would look like w/ the clip recessed.

Pastor Bill this is just my opinion but I find that with a recessed clip I personally do not like the line that forms where the cap and the final meets if they are both made out of the same material.

I like recessed clips but usually if I recess the clip I make the final out of a contrasting material. On this one I wanted to have all one wood.

see example:

<b>Image Insert:</b><br />
2005111201411_WalnutElGrandeOpen.jpg
<br />

Plus on the Jr Gent with the different diameter of the cap and the lower barrel, I think that increasing the diameter of the cap further would make it look disproportionate. With the small amount of material where the clip attaches that is the only way that I could see doing it.

Good answer. Isn't there some way to reduce a clip's size (diameter) and insert it into the wood without a full cut? Not really trying to start an argument, just wondering. Both pens are great.

vick

No argument I appreciate any discussion about my designs and or methods. I am not sure if you use this kit or not, I would post a picture of it but this was my last one. The clip is usually held in by a plug type end cap that is the full internal diameter of the tube. So there is only a very thin circle of metal. The only way I could think to try the recessed clip other than changing the caps outside diameter would be to grind away the entire metal circle and epoxy the small rectangular section into the recess. I have serious doubts that the epoxy could stand the abuse a clip take constantly flexing.
If anyone has any other ideas I would be interested in hearing them.

dubdrvrkev

I'm always surprised to see all these pens from Mike. I rarely see him in the shop. Mike are you sure the pen fairy isn't dropping these off? [}:)]
Anyways, another classic, what can I say it's a beauty!

vick

Originally posted by dubdrvrkev
<br />Mike are you sure the pen fairy isn't dropping these off? [}:)]

I am the pen fairy! Wait that did not come out right[:0]. If you looks at the ridiculously late time I usually post pictures I think you will figure out why you do not see me in the shop. You are sleeping like most sane people.

By the way your neighborhood fairy has a present for you. I glued up a laminated blank from some scraps and it is to short for any kits I make, I know you do sieras and it should work for that if you want it.

vick

Originally posted by Johnathan
<br />Looks nice. Is it just me, or does it look like there is a little space around the clip? How's the fit?

I also see that it in the picture the seem is tite however the final is just a tad bigger than the clip in a couple parts which may be what is causing the picture to look like that. I have pretty high standards when it comes to fit and I would still call this pen sellable, but most pen turners could tell that it was off a little.

vick

I am sure it will be gorgeous and look forward to seeing it. Sorry I did not respond to your e-mail my kids are sick so it is cazy around here. No rush I still have not sent mine out yet either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom