Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hard hat

hard hat

image-939057996.jpg

image-3248542888.jpg

image-2779615351.jpg

image-1008984254.jpg

image-1975231254.jpg

After a long time of looking, learning, and making all sorts of stuff I have finished my first fully handmade fountain pen. The body and cap are from black and copper swirl alumilite made by a friend and the section is solid black alumilite. It is 14.5mm diameter and about 5.75" long. It has a #5 nib that I grabbed from my parts box. The cap threads are M12x1, the section threads are M8x.75. These are just cell phone pics I grabbed because I was so happy.
What would you change on this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Brett...the only thing I don't like is the post end. For some reason...just me, it doesn't fit the overall look...great lines, then this thing sticks out. Everything else is beautiful!!! Thread work, finish...you got it down!!

Last edited:

plantman

Brett; Very well done for the first attempt !!! What I have done in the past, if I had enough of the blank, is to turn a little final to screw on the end when the pen is closed. Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0004 (800x348).jpg
    DSCF0004 (800x348).jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF0001 (800x372).jpg
    DSCF0001 (800x372).jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

Twissy

Fantastic start Brett, and I love the material. Personally I'm not keen on the postable end. That said there are those that would want threads on the end for positive posting, it is very much a horses for courses thing, but I never post my pen.
Looking forward to seeing the next!

hard hat

Originally I was going to make it post as a necessity because I wanted to keep the overall pen very short. Then one thing led to another and once the dust settled this is what happened. Really it was to keep the top and bottom barrel length equal. I am of the house of not posting pens ever.

Bryguy

Nice, nice, nice! Agree with the other gents about the post. I do not like kit pens because of the threaded posting mechanism. I think it detracts from the smooth lines of the pen. IMHO the post should be a press fit. Of course this is all subjective.
As a daily fountain pen user I need a clip and the ability to post because I'm constantly taking my pen out of my pocket and putting down. If I didn't post the cap, I would lose it!
My compliments on your first kitless. I start my second kitless tomorrow (If she who must be obeyed doesn't fins a job for me!)

Top Bottom