Curly Lilac Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Yellow River Woodturning

I don't see lilac pens come up often on the forums, so I thought I'd post a picture of one I made as a graduation gift for one of my friends. This piece of crotch lilac turned out to be one of my most beautiful pens to date! I still have some more lilac to turn, so I'll make sure to post the results.

Also, for those who have never worked with lilac, it is very difficult to get your hands on unless you know someone who's getting rid of a lilac bush. It cracks quite a bit while drying, but turns similar to olivewood and smells incredible (just like lilacs)! Sometimes you may have to deal with a soft central pith, but only in areas damaged by bugs or broken limbs. Despite all the annoyances, this wood is well worth the effort and produces spectacular results!

Attachments

• 20220528_120924.JPG
    20220528_120924.JPG
    556.7 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

What beautiful wood! I honestly didn't know lilac could get so large as to give you boards as large as the one you have pictured... I have a few lilac bushes in my yard, and I've actually recently harvested some branches from it that are now drying...but, I think the largest in diameter is maybe at most 2" if that.

I really love the purple streaks in there. Beautiful pen!

Todd in PA

My neighbor put some lilac out for brush a couple weeks ago and I snatched a couple pieces. I'll get a few pens, but the wood wasn't dense and solid like yours. I cut it up into 1" boards and coated it with anchor seal. I'll try turning some next summer.

Smelled fantastic when cutting.

cmiller

Wow, that is beautiful. I made a pen from a plum blank recently, it had some purple in it but yours is twice as nice.

Top Bottom