Curly Fire Birch Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from karlkuehn

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlkuehn

Banned
Here's the pen that I sent Kenny for the 'other' pen swap. He sent me that awesome Curly Eucalyptus cigar with the nice gum line, see his post for pictures of that one. Thanks again, Kenny!

My original pen got squashed by my own butt after a postal snafu and an unfortunate 'plopping' in the seat of my truck, ended up cracking the tube. Always need another shop pen, right? Gah. Wish I could write my way into a clean shop. heh

This one's made from curly fire birch that I got from Scott Muth's unfortunate liquidation sale (I never like to see another turner 'going out of business', but apparently that didn't deter my 'swoop-n-nab' instinct - just wish I could've swooped as fast as some of you vultures!). I wish he'd have had more of these blanks, they are amazing. I've only got 6 left, and they are definitely going on the shelf with the good stuff.

This one doesn't have much curl to it, but the spalt line running through it was the best of the bunch, from what I could tell, so I matched it with a black chrome cigar from Ernie at Bear Tooth for the best contrast.

CurlyFireBirch1_1.jpg

CurlyFireBirch1_2.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jhs494

Very nice pen.
I saw Kenny's pen and it looks like you both made out.
It looks like a extremely nice blank and you did a great job with the finish.

karlkuehn

Banned
Originally posted by ahoiberg
<br />neat wood karl. nice match on it kit. and a fine looking finish to boot!

I really like this wood, but I'm just dumb enough that I don't know whether 'fire' birch means that a birch forest burned down at some point (hence the cool black line), or there really is a Fire Birch, and this wood is from a half rotted one of them. :)

Anyone know where to get more of it, regardless? The grain pattern on them is really neat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom