Cure time on PR???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jedgerton

Need some advice. I tried some PR for the first time. I think its PR anyway, I bought it at Michael's under the name of Castin Crafts Clear Resin. I used it to fill in slots cut into wood blanks (mesquite and wenge, if that matters). The issue is that after more than 24 hours, its still quite tacky (i.e. sticky) on the top. Is this normal?

I mixed 8 ounces of resin with some red translucent coloring, silver Pearlx powder and 40 drops of catalyst. Is it normal that it stays tacky for this long or did I use too little or too much catalyst? The temperature at time of casting was about 80F.

I do notice that this stuff smells a lot like the Acrylester blanks I've purchased in the past. They stick together on the shelf so I'm thinking that just may be a feature of this material. Any help would be appreciated.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

It's normal for PR to be tacky for a few days or longer , as long as the casting has hardened you'll be ok . Let it post cure for a few days in a sunny window or post cure it in an oven on very low heat , 125 degrees or lower for an hour or two . The tackiness is so that you can add more resin and get a good bond between the layers

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
And if you are impatient there is a spray available that will "quick cure" the surface so it isn't tacky any more.

Alternatively, you can sand it down and the tacky goes away into your sand paper.

GK

JohnU

If your worried about smelling up the house using the oven place it outside in sunlight. After two to three hours its good.

DurocShark

I just did some inlays in a clock with PR and posted it in the oven at 170 for 2 hrs. Worked perfectly. Didn't soften the glue or anything either.

mtup

I bought a toaster oven at Walmart for $12.88. Then heat it up and turn it off. Put mold inside for an hour, then take it out and put it in the A/C. Comes out slick as you know what.

Mark Tupper

Top Bottom