Jeer CSUSA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

WriteON

Jeering because of the escalating shipping charge. The more items purchased the higher the shipping charge. Weight has nothing to do with it. Buy 2 ring cores the shipping might be $5.50.... order 10 or $150 worth and it bumps up pretty good. I placed a substantial first order with them but will look elsewhere for supplies. I do not appreciate the tactic. I gave them the courtesy of writing to them. General policy is If you like something tell your friends. If you don't tell us. They have been told. And most likely don't give a hoot.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Isn't there a group buy going on now???

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f21/january-2019-craft-supplies-usa-group-buy-158028/

Again another one of our sponsors here on this site. There are several members who work for CSUSA here.

Again....my apologies for speaking up again. Nobody comments/complains nothing changes.
As for members working here maybe the over inflated shipping cost can be addressed. I'd like to deal with CS. The service and quality of items are very good. As for group buys... I prefer to simply order at my own pace...but thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

I just want to add that many factors may go into a company's shipping policy/fees. Whether a company decides to charge by dollar amount, weight, #of items, shipping method/carrier, or a combination of these, boils down to finding and implementing a process that works consistently for them.
They will have hard costs of boxes/ packaging, packing materials, labels, printer toner, warehouse storage space and of course labor before even getting to the actual shipping costs.
Labor is big and needs to be as streamlined as possible without risking errors. Some companies will double check items in the box to the order before it goes out the door. Restocking bins when more supplies are ordered also takes time.
Another consideration, as the buyer is, does the company consistently get your order right? And do they get the shipment out the door promptly?
These and customer support have value which equals $$.
When a company has free shipping, it has to be added into the price of the products. Very seldom are things actually free.

It has been a while since I've ordered from CSUSA but I have been very pleased with their shipping/customer service.

jttheclockman

Isn't there a group buy going on now???

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f21/january-2019-craft-supplies-usa-group-buy-158028/

Again another one of our sponsors here on this site. There are several members who work for CSUSA here.

Again....my apologies for speaking up again. Nobody comments/complains nothing changes.
As for members working here maybe the over inflated shipping cost can be addressed. I'd like to deal with CS. The service and quality of items are very good. As for group buys... I prefer to simply order at my own pace...but thanks for the heads up.

I understand you have every right to voice your opinion and but other factors come into play with shipping and some have been just mentioned. I have always looked at shipping costs something we deal with that will always continue to increase. I have bought things from many places that I thought were high shipping costs but I wanted the items and my time to do searches has a value too. There are other vendors out there so if you do not mind it might be in your best interest to shop around. But if you have to break up your order and buy from 2 places you just defeated your quest for lower rates. Good luck. :):)

MRDucks2

Shipping costs do come into play in the overall cost of the product. For small orders I pay attention to shipping cost but it does not drive my decision.

For larger orders I include the shipping cost in the overall product cost and see which supplier is cheaper. There are levels at which the overall costs will break different ways for different suppliers.

I compound the decision at times because I have a decent supplier fairly close. No shipping costs if I can justify the drive across Indy or happen to be headed that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

WriteON

Let me understand. Sorry for the anology. If I order a small pizza the delivery charge is x amount. Large would be more expensive to deliver. Bigger box. Takes up more room in car. Add a pizza steak charge an additional fee. Have a pizza party and get an estimated delivery fee.
I appreciate everyone's explanation as to why the shipping cost is such. But no thanks. Not buying. You're happy that's all that counts. Barry Gross does the same. I ordered one time. Oops. I did it again. Is he a vendor. You defend the vendors as to how much they do for IAP. You realize without us there is no them.
Just curious... are 20 ring cores that much heavier than shipping 3-5 cores. Think the package should cost $8-10 more? Please reread my posts. Nothing negative about quality or service. Just the outrageous shipping cost.
I'm not alone on this. Got plenty of support. Also got contacted by a vendor here and will give him a shot.
I'm glad most of you are Happy. I must be Dopey cause I'm Grumpy. Have a great day.

Terredax

Banned
I understand and agree. There are several companies that gouge on shipping with this method. Grizzly is one.
The interesting part is, the vendor will ship a small item in a ridiculously large box for x-amount of s&h. If an additional, exact item is added, the shipping jumps to almost double or more, and the item would have plenty of space for the ride in this huge box. An example would be pen tubes. They are small, and light, yet when ordering 5 of them, s&h is $3.00 but, if 6 are ordered, the s&h goes to $8.00 (this is a hypothetical scenario).
Does it take that much more time to grab an additional tube? Does said tube weigh an astronomical amount? Does this tube require a box that's double the size? The box is already too large to start.

I too avoid companies that use this practice. The benefit to the internet is being able to comparison shop.

Talltim

That is one thing I appreciate about the causa group buy. If it fits in the small shipping box it is one cost. If you move to the next higher cost it is another.

I work with an organization and we do a lot of shipping. I can tell you people are seldom happy with shipping. As the vendor I am not happy with it. It is expensive.

I was trying to order one blank from a vendor and they wanted 8.75 to ship it. I chose not to get it.

MRDucks2

I also agree that unreasonable shipping is just another way of making money.

While it was present here and there historically, it became a "practice" among some when eBay became increasing fees on their service but excludes shipping and handling. At that time some folks realized that if you sold a $100 item for $1 and charged $99 for shipping, you made more money.

For some, it is likely nothing more than an easy way to set up their software to ensure they do not lose money on shipping.

It is another cost that has to be considered.

jttheclockman

Let me understand. Sorry for the anology. If I order a small pizza the delivery charge is x amount. Large would be more expensive to deliver. Bigger box. Takes up more room in car. Add a pizza steak charge an additional fee. Have a pizza party and get an estimated delivery fee.
I appreciate everyone's explanation as to why the shipping cost is such. But no thanks. Not buying. You're happy that's all that counts. Barry Gross does the same. I ordered one time. Oops. I did it again. Is he a vendor. You defend the vendors as to how much they do for IAP. You realize without us there is no them.
Just curious... are 20 ring cores that much heavier than shipping 3-5 cores. Think the package should cost $8-10 more? Please reread my posts. Nothing negative about quality or service. Just the outrageous shipping cost.
I'm not alone on this. Got plenty of support. Also got contacted by a vendor here and will give him a shot.
I'm glad most of you are Happy. I must be Dopey cause I'm Grumpy. Have a great day.

Barry Gross does nothing for this site As said you find someone who has everything you want and buy from them. But remember if you have to split an order your savings went out the window. Plenty of vendors out there. Everyone would like free shipping but some way you will pay for that free shipping. Also when shopping take and compare prices of items you are interested in and add that to your comparison shopping list. Things do add up.

vtgaryw

I don't begrudge vendors covering their shipping and handling costs. I don't think it should be a money maker for them. I like Wood-N-Whimsies. They charge shipping based on dollar amount for expediency, but will refund you if the actual shipping is less. That's a fair policy. If the vendor is basically paying by weight, then they should be passing it on the same way.

Gary

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Is their shipping metric not available on their site?

I don't want to dissuade you from your right to post your opinion, but if a vendor posts their metric, then it's up to you to do business with them or not based on your acceptance or rejection of the shipping costs...

I tend to think that a Jeer should only happen if they don't live up to their promises - which this doesn't really fit (in my opinion). That being said, charging based on value is probably a lot easier for them than charging for weight and bulk - value is easier to program into their system, likely.

WriteON

I tend to think that a Jeer should only happen if they don't live up to their promises - which this doesn't really fit (in my opinion). That being said, charging based on value is probably a lot easier for them than charging for weight and bulk - value is easier to program into their system, likely.

Padding the bill is not a Jeer? Gouging shipping charges certainly are a Jeer (from me). I'm just ranting and blowing wind. Not liking a companies policy certainly is a Jeer.
So...I buy pool cue components from a company that does similar. I like the products & service. They are the best around to deal with(have the merchandise) so I do so. I buy once a year...no big deal. As for wood turning stuff I buy impulsively. I buy often...not interested in paying $13plus for 2 small orders in a week to 2's time. I'm simply disappointed in the gouge practice...and it hurts because I'd like to deal with CS. I have policies and limits also. I did not question or complain about their supply prices. Also I do not sell my pens/stoppers, whatever...I tend to gift and donate for charitable organizations. I'm not making money...not recovering any. If I sold my stuff I'd simply build the shipping into the sale...and charge a few bucks more...and provide "free" shipping.

VENDOR Cheers/Jeers:
Provide an objective and subjective evaluation of your experience.
Will you order from this vendor again? Why or why not?

As per the rules. Simply stating my experience. In no way bashing or discouraging others from using CS.

Last edited:

WriteON

Cheers and Jeers.... I requested this thread be opened (was closed). I'm hard pressed to hold a JEER against CSUSA. The Jeer is strictly for the escalating shipping charge. I have been ordering from CS for obvious reasons...and that is the quality & service is there. They are great to deal with. It's hard to JEER....there is nothing negative with products and service. I gave them a few decent orders so far.

Would like to see a reasonable flat rate...or free shipping with a substantial minimum order. Would like to give a 5star Cheer instead of 4 star Jeer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom