CSUSA wine glasses?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dvoigt

Dvoigt

Who here makes the wine glasses that CSUSA sells? I like the look of them and thought about trying them I just haven't seen many finished ones and didn't know if there was a reason for that.

What size wood would be suitable for the base? I was thinking at least 2.5", if not a 3"

Any issues using glue ups to make a thick enough chunk of wood to have a stable base?

Thanks,

Derek

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

I did one last year. The CSUSA wine bulb worked well, but I think an inexpensive wine glass with the stem cut would do just as well. I'd recommend a 3", or even slightly larger diameter base for stability. I believe a glue-up would be just fine - you're not going to stick this one in the dishwasher after all (I hope).

Good luck,
Eric

Attachments

• 1_Winestem.jpg
    1_Winestem.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 264

Billman

Snowmass Village & Grand Junction, Colorado
I have done a few, the general rule that I try to use with those is to make the base approximately the same diameter as the glass for stability and symmetry. You can go larger, which will give you more stability (especially if you do a very long stem), but it may seem out of proportion if it is too big... But hey, you can always easily make it smaller if it seems too large to you.

Good luck, and enjoy.

attachment.jpg

Here is some of the ones I have made with Aspen wood.

Jgrden

drink.gifNow I know what to do with a wine glass when the stem breaks. Trouble is, I't have to break three more for a complete set.

Rifleman1776

Looks good.
But, I have mixed feelings about whether this is a neat idea or just silly.
One advantage would be that the bases could all be made differently so folks don't get their glasses mixed up.

stolicky

I did one last year. The CSUSA wine bulb worked well, but I think an inexpensive wine glass with the stem cut would do just as well. I'd recommend a 3", or even slightly larger diameter base for stability. I believe a glue-up would be just fine - you're not going to stick this one in the dishwasher after all (I hope).

Good luck,
Eric

Curious - how would one go about cutting off the stem of a wine glass?

Sounds like a nice and thrifty idea, but I'm not sure how I would (consistently) cut glass.

bobindayton

I cut the stems off using a dremel and a diamond bit. Score a reing around the stem where you want it cut and it will snap on its own when you get the ring deep enough. The stem was around 3/8 and I might have cut the ring 1/16 deep. I have done glasses this way. Sorry no pictures. I know. . .no picture. . . it didn't happen!
Bob

jleiwig

Curious - how would one go about cutting off the stem of a wine glass?

Sounds like a nice and thrifty idea, but I'm not sure how I would (consistently) cut glass.

score it with a glass cutter all the way around. Tap it against a hard surface and it should split at the score. Sand the bottom smooth with emory cloth.

It's pretty cheap considering they are like .49 each at places like Old Time Pottery and the like. It's on my list of things to do this winter.

Top Bottom