Mini Review CS USA Dayacom JR Gent

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silver

Hi,

I have an issue with the developing ways that pen kits are going. I'm not sure if it's a common theme or if it's just this kit.
I would be interesting to see if anyone else has seen this issue, with this kit or other kits.

I have put this kit review on IAP as I see it important as I purchased this pen kit through a CS USA GB the last time I managed t get in on one. And the fact that the kit was purchased from the US.

I originally asked a fellow UK penturner to review the quality of the original Gent kits that I purchased a few years ago from CS USA myself as a direct comparison from Timberbits Gent that he had done a few of and was comparing kit quality.

See this link below.
Dayacom Jr. Gent 2 Versus Timberbits Castellar

Thanks to Peter for doing the first review.

I had not realised that CS USA had made any changes to their Gent kits at this stage.

Once I opened the kit I realised that it was different and could see the black accents on the nib end thread. (none postable kit)
You will notice that the thread is black, yes its black but not plastic, its painted metal thread. Now why are they painting them?

In short its possibly painted because it saves the cost of putting the plating on the threads so makes the kit cheaper to produce. Now I'm not a happy bunny about this as in my opinion it seems as though even CSUSA are now turning to cheaper quality pen kits.

In the scheme of thing it possibly only a few pence more per kit to have it plated the same as the main parts so I can't see the benefits.

When building the kit up the nib section would not screw in due to there being a problem with the internal thread in the coupler. I had to re-tap it out and repair the thread so I could insert the nib feed, not a happy bunny part two.

The plating on the rest of the pen appears to be no different and seem to have no issues with the spec of the pen.
So all in all the older CSUSA Daycom kits that I have appear to be the better quality kits.

Now I would understand if the black accents made the pen look a better quality, but again in my opinion they don't.

Is this a sign that another supplies is joining the fleets of suppliers and providing lower quality kits.

Disappointingly that is possibly another kit that I won't be buying again unless they replace it with a plated thread version again.

I'm interested in what anyone else has had or seen..

C&C on the pen always welcome. Wood is London Plane with CA finish

Attachments

• Gent 11-london plane.JPG
    Gent 11-london plane.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 266
  • gent3LP-03.JPG
    gent3LP-03.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 297
  • gent3LP-01.JPG
    gent3LP-01.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 334
Top Bottom