"crushing" cutoffs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RGABEL

I have a bunch or "acrylic" cutoffs that I would like to cast in some resin. Some are Alumilite cutoffs some purchased (not sure what the exact material is). I would like to crush these to simulate small rocks / pebbles. I have tried a hammer against concrete to no avail. Has anyone done this or have suggestions?

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ccccchunt

Following. I tried bashing with a hammer inside a burlap sack with no luck. I got some of the acrylic acetate blanks to bust apart but no luck with Alumilite swirl. I was actually worried about cracking my garage floor.

My wife would probably not be too happy if I tried our blender!!

calabrese55

A dip in liquid nitrogen and tap with a small hammer o_O
Some things with epoxy resins are just not meant to be .
I would just cut them into tiny random pieces on a band saw . If the pieces are too small to be hand held then simply use some CA or dbl sided tape to attach to a piece if wood and saw away.
The other opportunity is to cleave the pieces over and over with a wood chisel and a hammer effectively chopping them up into small pieces.
Put them in a hydraulic press a few thousand pounds of load should be interesting some reference videos to give you some idea what you can do with a big a$$ press 🤪
And a whole bunch more ............ https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hydraulic+press+satisfying
At the end of the day some things with epoxy resins are just not meant to be easy.

calabrese55

Last edited:
Top Bottom