Crushing Alumilite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Racer3770

Has anyone found a reliable method to "crush" or crumble cured Alumilite? I have a lot of cut-off sections that I'd like to crush and recast into other blanks if it's possible.

Excited to hear your ideas!

Alumilite Pen Blanks at ShopThePensmiths.com

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

I've never had much luck getting alumilite to stick to itself after being cured, but I've not spent a terrible amount of time on experimenting.

Racer3770

I've never had much luck getting alumilite to stick to itself after being cured, but I've not spent a terrible amount of time on experimenting.

I've had better luck when I heated up the part to be mated. You could be right though!

dogcatcher

Make a square plastic mold that is 3x3x6, dump the cutoffs and fill with the color of choice of Alumilite Whne cured, cut in to 1x2x5 blanks, then cut again to 1x1x6 blanks. Be sure to just "jumble" the cutoffs before recasting. I also found that smaller pieces looked better, also keep your colors compatible, you do not want it to look like someone upchucked their meal.

darrin1200

I remember reading abut someone that successfully did this a couple of years ago. Unfortunately, he wanted to make and sell them so he was not forthcoming with his technique.

Don Rabchenuk

Has anyone found a reliable method to "crush" or crumble cured Alumilite? I have a lot of cut-off sections that I'd like to crush and recast into other blanks if it's possible.

Excited to hear your ideas!

Take a look in the venders section in Mutts Blanks he cuts it into small pieces. http://www.muttblanks.com/monet--mosaics.html

Top Bottom