Crush grind question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Haynie

Haynie

For those who have done pepper mills with crush grind mechanisms, is it possible to shorten the stainless bar? I want to make a couple 6 inchers but their shortest is 10 inches.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

micharms

Mark:
I just finished turning and assembling my first 4 peppermills. They have the crush bring mechanism. They are a variety of heights and I,didmjustmcut down the rod to fit. I used my Dremel with a heavy duty cut off wheel and it worked perfectly.

Michael

oh, and I think the shaft is aluminum, not stainless steel

You beat me to the reply... they are aluminum and I cut mine with a large pair of pliers that has a wire cutter built in, then run the end against my belt sander to smooth and re-shape the end of the shaft...

For those interested, you can get the grind mechanisms at this site in three sizes... 4.8, 10.2, and 18.5 inches.... shipping is pretty quick and not terribly expensive.

CrushGrind.US

Haynie

Never thought about going to the ACTUAL maker to see what they offer. No sarcasm intended. I seriously never thought about it. Thanks chuck.

clapiana

ditto on aluminum shafts which are very easy to cut. ensure you hammer over the ends.

the crushgrind 'wood' no-shaft version can be a challenge compared to the "typical" old school USA grinder or the crushgrind shaft version. the reward of getting your hands around the crushgrind wood version is you can do some funky cool mill designs.

i have attached a crushgrind wood spec so you get an idea of how it is created.

Attachments

• crushgrindwoodspecs.jpg
    crushgrindwoodspecs.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 135
Top Bottom