Cross Slide For Wood Lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

spindlecraft

This might be a stupid question – but, has anybody come across any cross slides (like they have for metal lathes) for a wood lathe? My goal is not to cut metal with my wood lathe – but rather, I really like the precision that can be achieved. From perfectly straight/even surface cuts, to 90 degree endgrain cuts – it would make turning precise tenons for kitless pens a whole lot faster and easier.

I found this guy: https://www.cuesmith.com/crossfeed-for-wood-lathe/

But, just wondering if there are any other options from maybe some more reputable sources.

Also curious if anybody has any experience with one, and can tell me the pros & cons.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Curly

Some wood lathes in the past like Rockwell and perhaps Beaver had compound slide rests as an option. Hard to find and never cheap but you could go that route.

Mach4

I use an X-Y table as the basis for some of my specialty work on a wood lathe. You'll need to develop some additional tooling to mount on the table and a very rigid platform to raise the table to proper cutting height (I made mine out of granite) and rigidly mount the lathe and table to substantial platform (again I used granite). You can find some el cheapo aluminum ones that seem tempting, but they are worthless (just ask me how I know).
D7DB7093-5A74-461A-8043-13F5B27DFD81.jpeg

PatrickR

This might be a stupid question – but, has anybody come across any cross slides (like they have for metal lathes) for a wood lathe? My goal is not to cut metal with my wood lathe – but rather, I really like the precision that can be achieved. From perfectly straight/even surface cuts, to 90 degree endgrain cuts – it would make turning precise tenons for kitless pens a whole lot faster and easier.

But, just wondering if there are any other options from maybe some more reputable sources.

Also curious if anybody has any experience with one, and can tell me the pros & cons.
I would be concerned about the set up. If its not made specifically for your lathe it could be tricky.
if tenons are the main use look into a tenon cutter (I don't remember who makes them) that mounts in the tail stock. It uses carbide cutters and can be set to the exact size you want.

EricRN

Seems like the best option might be a cheapish metal lathe. But space may be an issue. I think the cost of the cross slide setup would come pretty close to that of a low-mid metal lathe.

dogcatcher

I have an old Delta 1460 wood/metal combination lathe that has the cross slide. With it's current collector value I baby it by only turning wood on it. It was only made for light metal turning. The cross slides come up on eBay pretty often. Usually in the $300 to $300 range. In my opinion that is a bargain.

The above cross slide table is a good option for turning the lathe into a horizontal milling machine.

Jarod888

At one point I adapted a hardinge cross slide to my one-way 1216. It wasn't easy and really didn't work as well as I thought it would. If you had a spare wood lathe you could dedicate to it, you might be able to make something work. The issue is finding a cross slide and then mounting it, so that it remained perfectly square. You could use the compound to turn tapers, etc.

carlmorrell

I got an inexpensive cross slide. Mounting was simple. Just a plate underneath. I added a quick change tool post. Wedge type OXA in steel. Got inexpensive cutters from Lowes (Wen). I have made custom parts for my dirtbike (199( CR125). I am on pause, but am making a different pulley to get a little slower speed. Mainly though to practice metal lathing!

Attachments

• 20220715_185316.jpg
    20220715_185316.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 20220715_190929.jpg
    20220715_190929.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 238
  • 20220721_211231.jpg
    20220721_211231.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 239
  • 20220721_211240.jpg
    20220721_211240.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 20220722_202653.jpg
    20220722_202653.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 208
  • 20220722_203208.jpg
    20220722_203208.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 20220722_205304.jpg
    20220722_205304.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 225

duncsuss

I got an inexpensive cross slide. Mounting was simple. Just a plate underneath. I added a quick change tool post. Wedge type OXA in steel. Got inexpensive cutters from Lowes (Wen). I have made custom parts for my dirtbike (199( CR125). I am on pause, but am making a different pulley to get a little slower speed. Mainly though to practice metal lathing!
Nicely done, Carl.

I traded some blanks for a cross-slide (think it's Grizzly) several years ago but I'm still (ahem) "waiting for that perfect time" to fit it to my lathe. These pix have nudged me into thinking about it again.

carlmorrell

Nicely done, Carl.

I traded some blanks for a cross-slide (think it's Grizzly) several years ago but I'm still (ahem) "waiting for that perfect time" to fit it to my lathe. These pix have nudged me into thinking about it again.
One advantage of the quick change tool posts, is the tool-holders have a height adjustment. This makes setup a little easier. Regardless of the cross slide. BTW, the one I picked was around $80, cast iron, and pretty smooth for the price. I have the 10" turncrafter, and went with the OXA size tool post, turns out with the smaller cutters, I have to adjust all the holders almost all the way up. If it was going on the 6" bed, this setup would need a plate under it all. AXA size might help with that. But the biggest concern to me, adding 3 unknown parts, and hoping I could get the cutter to center.

duncsuss

One advantage of the quick change tool posts, is the tool-holders have a height adjustment. This makes setup a little easier. ... the biggest concern to me, adding 3 unknown parts, and hoping I could get the cutter to center.
Good to know, thanks; my concern is that the top of the cross-slide on mine might be too high, resulting in all tooling being above center, but I haven't done any proper measurements. And for some of what I have in mind, it might not matter, the lathe will be mostly acting as a fixture to hold the blanks while the cross-slide moves a Dremel around in a controlled path.

farmer

Stop....
Buy a metal lathe..................................
Cutting metal requires a cooling lubrication system.
Once you get your lathe and workspace mixed in with cooling fluid and wood you will hate life .

farmer

The Cross slides On the Taig lathes are sticky or loose all the time. With the rack and pinion EXPOSED spur gears is a total nightmare.
I think you would be better off doing a DIY slider on your lathe with a veneer trimer ( live cutter )
1668541304898.png

KenB259

All you need is a boring head. I bought mine at Littte Machine Shop with a #2 morse taper. The same setup ringmakers use, works like a champ.

Top Bottom