Cross Cut Sled: Band Saw vs Table Saw

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed Weingarden

I'm new to pen turning and the aspect of segmenting has caught my eye. In reading about it and watching Youtubes, I see that there are a variety of designs for jigs/cutting sleds; some for the band saw, and some for a table saw. Since my shop is equipped with both saws, I'd like to hear more about the pros and cons of each saw (as it relates to cutting for segmenting), before I build a sled for one of them. If I go the bandsaw route, what is the appropriate blade to use (width, tpi)? Same for the table saw blade. I've also been introduced to the Microjig apparatus on this forum; pretty nifty. Does the Microjig setup take the place of a sled, with more versatility? Or, does it serve a completely different purpose? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

I use the table saw with various jigs which gives cleaner cuts than the bandsaw. On reflection I believe that 90% of my segmenting would be done on the table saw. I generally use a Freud thin kerf blade.

KMCloonan

I use both. I tend to use whichever saw is appropriate for the project. For example, when I want to make a celtic knot inlay using 0.020" cardstock for the inlay material, I use my bandsaw, and match the blade to the thickness of the card stock. I made a sled jig for the bandsaw that has a positive stop to prevent me from cutting all the way through the blank (helps retain the orientation). If I want to made a celtic knot with thicker material, I will use my table saw with a dedicated sled/jig, and again, match the saw blade thickness to the material.

I also use my table saw with a segmenting sled that allows me to make repeatable angled cuts.

So again, it's mostly dependent on what I want to do at that moment.

randyrls

Yep Rick; I also use a 7 1/4" circular saw blade but not the one mentioned. It has a kerf of .075". Use caution and feed SLOWLY! The blade has a tendency to "sing" on hardwoods. Aside: "Singing" is a harmonic vibration in a saw blade of any type. It results in an uneven cut and varying kerf width.

I may have to try that Freud blade.

Painfullyslow

I use both. For 'basic' (90 degree or angles which cut through the entire blank) segmenting I tend to use the table saw with a sled. Some of the segmenting that I do requires "V" cuts which necessitate the use of the band saw, also done with a jig.

Like others, I have a thin kerf Freud blade on the table saw and vary band saw blades for the thickness of the material that I am using.

Dale Parrott

Ed Weingarden

Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like it will be best to make a somewhat simplistic sled for the band saw, and a table saw sled with more advanced features. It looks like there are a number of design options, so my research for the best design continues.

Top Bottom