crimp a ring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nono50

HEllo,
I'm trying to find out how you are doing crimping a ring.
I heard about a special device for this. Do you know where to buy one?
Thank you for your answers and forgive me if this question has already been asked. I did not find (I'm making efforts in the English language though;)).
Bruno

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I've done it before with a collet chuck. If you have a collet that the ring will fit into, keep tightening the nut and you will make the ring smaller. Helps if the metal is soft. You can also crimp it into a groove iin a pan cap if that is what you are trying to do.

Ironwood

Hi Bruno, I think what you are referring to is called swaging. I remember there was mention of this in a thread a while back, and there was a link to the Fountain Pen Network Forum where someone described how they did it using a collet Chuck.

duncsuss

Here is a link to the thread on Fountain Pen Network - I have some sterling silver rings but haven't tried fitting them to a cap yet.

nono50

Thanks for the links. 😜
So I want to buy the er25 but I can not find with mt1 (Morse 1). Indeed, I also wish to use it as a mandrel with my wooden lathe.
But er25 in mt1 (Morse 1), maybe it does not exist.

On the other hand, it exists in er20. What could be wrong with using an er20 and the silvers that go with it?

I think that does not change much on tightening, am I wrong?

bmachin

If you are looking at putting rings on pen caps ER20 will not work due to the maximum clamping diameter of 9/16" even with an oversized collet. (Standard maximum is 13mm).
There are items known as collet blocks which can be held in a vise and are bored to hold various collets which you could use to do your swaging.

Bill

nono50

Indeed, I have not been watching the maximum sizes of the chucks. So I will have to fall back on the er25.
Thank you for this important clarification.

More4dan

Thanks for the links. [emoji12]
So I want to buy the er25 but I can not find with mt1 (Morse 1). Indeed, I also wish to use it as a mandrel with my wooden lathe.
But er25 in mt1 (Morse 1), maybe it does not exist.

On the other hand, it exists in er20. What could be wrong with using an er20 and the silvers that go with it?

I think that does not change much on tightening, am I wrong?
If you just need it to swedge rings you could go this route and hold the collet holder in a vise.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0583.JPG
    IMG_0583.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 127

Ironwood

MT1 x ER25 chucks are available, I have one to fit one of my lathes, though I prefer to use the ER32 that has a thread to suit my headstock spindle.
Here is one on eBay in the UK

Or there are plenty of listings in China for half the price , I got mine from China, but not from this seller. I have had no problems with mine.

Ironwood

The ER25 Chuck goes up to a 16mm collet, is this big enough for your rings ? The ER32 goes up to 20mm which is more convenient, but I cannot find a Chuck with MT1, but if your lathe has a common sized thread on the spindle, they are available .
I got mine from Vermec, Enzo makes them to order, he may be able to do other threads than what he has listed if you talk to him. He provides a very good service and his products are top quality.

duncsuss

In my opinion, it is definitely worth having the extra capacity of the ER-32 collets. This will allow you to do as Fontainbel recommends in his posts on the Fountain Pen Network thread - avoid getting "tooth marks" on your ring by wrapping in a plastic sheath (he recommended PEEK).

My ER-32 collet chuck screws onto my headstock spindle - I am also thinking about getting one of the square (or hexagonal) collet chucks that I can hold in a bench vice.

More4dan

In my opinion, it is definitely worth having the extra capacity of the ER-32 collets. This will allow you to do as Fontainbel recommends in his posts on the Fountain Pen Network thread - avoid getting "tooth marks" on your ring by wrapping in a plastic sheath (he recommended PEEK).

My ER-32 collet chuck screws onto my headstock spindle - I am also thinking about getting one of the square (or hexagonal) collet chucks that I can hold in a bench vice.

Collet chuck with square base is available for $22 from Banggood. I've placed 15 orders through them without issue. It just take 2-4 weeks for shipping.

They also have individual ER 32 collets for $4.99 and a set of 19 for $69.99
Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

nono50

Yes I see.

But peek is very expensive.
For the first time, I don't want to invest too much.
For one side to try the technique and get familiar with it and, on the other hand, it's for my leisure and personal use.

duncsuss

But peek is very expensive.
For the first time, I don't want to invest too much.

Fair enough - but if you have the larger chuck, it's easy to use a smaller collet (to swage the ring without using anything wrapped around the outide). If you buy the smaller chuck, you don't have the option of going to the larger collet size.

Top Bottom