Crescent fill fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I just finished up this crescent fill fountain pen. It's based off an old design, and something I'd wanted to try for a while. It uses a sac as the ink reservoir, and the mechanism to fill is a pressure bar that's attached to the ends of the metal crescent. The black plastic ring prevents the crescent from accidentally being depressed, and expelling the ink. To fill the pen, you rotate the ring until the slot in it aligns with the crescent, then you press the crescent down and release it while the nib is submerged in ink. Here is a video :
http://instagr.am/p/B14Kmgaju3m/
I made the pen from vintage lizard skin cellulose acetate and black acrylic. I used nickel silver for the metalwork rather than stainless, since I can solder it easily. To keep the vintage theme going, I used an old esterbrook nib.

Attachments

• 7FFE6A48-8722-4A10-A235-FD311AC44392.jpeg
    7FFE6A48-8722-4A10-A235-FD311AC44392.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 13D2C6B7-A42C-4825-9A76-43294BCD6500.jpeg
    13D2C6B7-A42C-4825-9A76-43294BCD6500.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

John, that is so interesting and novel !!! . VERY well done, also !!!

Congratulations, and thank you for showing .... expanded my pen horizons just to learn about this concept !!!!

Now I am wondering about the initial assembly of the crescent and the fillup-enabling ring !! :rolleyes::)
Might be a bit like one of those Oriental manipulative puzzles !! . Got another video ??;)

Last edited:

jalbert

John, that is so interesting and novel !!! . VERY well done, also !!!

Congratulations, and thank you for showing .... expanded my pen horizons just to learn about this concept !!!!

Now I am wondering about the initial assembly of the crescent and the fillup-enabling ring !! :rolleyes::)
Might be a bit like one of those Oriental manipulative puzzles !! . Got another video ??;)
Thanks. Assembly is pretty easy. The pressure bar and crescent slide in the back of the barrel (the finial unscrews), and the lock ring is spread slightly, then slipped over the barrel and into the shallow groove that holds it in place.

Fred Bruche

I admire your level of design and execution on every pen you post but this one is in another universe! When can I come for a two months internship in your shop? 🙃

jalbert

That's a beautiful pen. I like the lizard skin and as usual your work is flawless. It's also the first crescent fill I've seen.
Thanks. It's a rather obscure filling system. A few manufacturers still use it, but it's not terribly common. I did this one because I had a several vintage pen nerds lusting after a custom version.

Bryguy

A crescent filler has been on my list of Want-to-dos. Yours is absolutely beautiful. I think I have to get to your shop next time I'm in Louisville!

darrin1200

Fantastic work John, your skills are inspiring. Did you make your own pressure bar?

I have not graduated from CC fillers yet. I am hoping for a bulb filler in the next year.

jalbert

A crescent filler has been on my list of Want-to-dos. Yours is absolutely beautiful. I think I have to get to your shop next time I'm in Louisville!
Thanks. It's definitely something that is simple in design, but ends up requiring a lot of engineering consideration to get to work correctly

jalbert

That is very cool. What material did you use for the pressure bar. I figure it would need to have some good spring and still be strong.
Nickel silver, since it's easily solderable. It doesn't need to have any spring, since the sac provides the pressure to return the crescent to its original position

SteveJ

That, my friend, is why I doubt I will ever get into fountain pens. I am nervous about threading and here you go introducing something levels above that. Awesome work. Thanks for showing it.

Top Bottom