Craftsman 10" Bandsaw - First impression

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottydont

Let me start by saying I have owned a Ridgid 14" and a Jet 14" Bandsaw and I am a tool trader by nature. I sold the first to upgrade and the second to make space. My shop is 10x14 so space is a challenge. I looked at how much I was using the capacity of the 14" saws. I did not do much resawing. Mostly cutting pen blanks and flat stock. I really hated the 9" "why bother" models there were out there. I heard about the Rikon and Craftsman 10". They are nearly identical except the CM comes with a Cast iron table which is larger than I thought it would be. I am not crazy about most Craftsman power tools but I bought the CM anyway. There was very little to assemble and after checking the table for flatness and the squared everthing up. It was almost dead on right out of the box. The roller guides are great for such a small saw. I gave it it's first test cutting some 3/4" oak. Wow, was I impressed! Smooth, plenty of power for a saw that size, cut straight as an arrow with very little drift. That was the stock blade! I could not be more pleased for $139 bucks. If you need a bandsaw for woodturning prep or small projects I would recommend the Craftsman without hestitation.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomServo

Scotty: What's the resaw capacity of that saw? Have you tried cutting something that takes the entire capacity? I ask because I'm interested in a small-ish bandsaw. I'd like one of those hitachi 12" jobs, but my local lowe's turned me off - there's a kid in lumber who's awesome, but the tools manager is an ass. Besides, the trunnions felt squishy.

Scottydont

Originally posted by TomServo
<br />Scotty: What's the resaw capacity of that saw? Have you tried cutting something that takes the entire capacity? I ask because I'm interested in a small-ish bandsaw. I'd like one of those hitachi 12" jobs, but my local lowe's turned me off - there's a kid in lumber who's awesome, but the tools manager is an ass. Besides, the trunnions felt squishy.

Craftsmans website says 4-5/8". I haven't tried resawing anything that thick yet.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by TomServo
<br />Scotty: What's the resaw capacity of that saw? Have you tried cutting something that takes the entire capacity? I ask because I'm interested in a small-ish bandsaw. I'd like one of those hitachi 12" jobs, but my local lowe's turned me off - there's a kid in lumber who's awesome, but the tools manager is an ass. Besides, the trunnions felt squishy.

Just curious, why did you feel the tools manager's trunnions?

[:D]

thetalbott4

The 12" Craftsman is a real nice unit. Better priced than most and better equiped. I never felt the managers trunnions either. I wonder if the trunnions come from the same area as the chicken nuggets?[:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom