Craft knife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Jolly Red

Jolly Red

I made a few of these to give as gifts this Christmas and to sell on my Etsy store. This one is made with white oak and the Excel mechanism. It uses any of the blades that can be used with the Exacto Number 1 handle.

Attachments

• 07 White Oak cropped.JPG
    07 White Oak cropped.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 318
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

Thank you all for the kind remarks. This uses the parts from an Excel Grip-it knife, with the plastic tube used for the handle thrown away. I got the knives off ebay, since there was a seller on there with a good price for a quantity. If I were only making one or two, I would have gotten the knives from Hobby Lobby or other craft store. The same thing can be done with the Xacto Gripster knife, but the Gripster will not allow the use of the blade cover that comes with the knife.

Jolly Red

Thank you all for the kind remarks. This was made with the parts from an Excel Grip-it knife, which I bought a small quantity of on Ebay. If I were only making one or two, I would have gotten the knives from a craft or hobby store. These can also be made from the Xcel Grip-it knife, but that would not allow the use of the blade guard which comes with the knife.

I am going to submit a step by step to the library here, which will go into the details of the construction.

dogcatcher

I used the Xcel knife handles to make wire inlay handles. I drilled the piece of wood to fit about 2" long piece of the Xcel knife handle. I turned the handle using the part I cut off as a mandrel in a drill chuck. Then CA glued the cutting end into the new wood handle.

These are inlay knives.

nprknt.jpg

This what they are designed to cut for inlay. The wire is a flat wire about 1/4" wide, the knives cut a slot, the wire is forced into the slot and then the wood is dampened and the slot swells shut on the wire. That is the simple explanation, it does involve a lot more work. This example is not mine, not sure whose work it is.

99idms.jpg

Top Bottom