crack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

This is a hybrid blank of unknown origin. The blank was pretty brittle when turning it. Now I see a crack which I've pictured. Is there any fix to this or will it always be visible? This would be down next to the nib on a Junior George. Being tight I hate to throw it away but may have to if there's no acceptable fix. crack.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Painfullyslow

There are various materials out there that will melt the plastic together, fixing the crack but there is no way that it will not be visible.

My suggestion would be to toss it but if you are dead set on keeping it, my only thought would be to put it back on the lathe and turn it down in that area back to the brass tube, then affix another piece of something and call it 'art'

leehljp

Member Liaison
And a different question to mull over is: Why did it happen? Any ideas? If the answer is known, sharing it with others helps them to watch for the same circumstances.

Alan Morrison

If you like the blank why not do a bit of segmenting? Turn off the cracked end cleanly down to the tube and do the same at the opposite end the same width. Set in a complimentary piece at both ends and there you go. Blank saved.

Alan

Alchemist

Unfortunately, I don't think the crack can be hidden. Looks like a pressure crack from when the blank was being turned. If the blank was brittle, it wouldn't take much pressure as the walls become thinner.

You could try a couple of things…but that crack may not be able to be mended. Removing it will probably be the best idea. Segmenting, like Alan suggested, is a good idea.

Top Bottom