Couple razors for Christmas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mike4066

mike4066

These are going to be gifts for my two oldest boys age 15 & 13. I taught them to shave, now I get to make the razor handles.

The first one is one of BSea's blanks - Kingman Turquoise. There is so much going on in this blank you can't stop staring at it. Four colors and a lot of depth, the photo doesn't do it justice.

The second one is my (first and likely last) attempt at pouring my own blanks. One quart of resin later and I had two usable blanks. Or at least I thought they were until I saw BSea's :)

Attachments

• IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 225
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

These are going to be gifts for my two oldest boys age 15 & 13. I taught them to shave, now I get to make the razor handles.

The first one is one of BSea's blanks - Kingman Turquoise. There is so much going on in this blank you can't stop staring at it. Four colors and a lot of depth, the photo doesn't do it justice.

The second one is my (first and likely last) attempt at pouring my own blanks. One quart of resin later and I had two usable blanks. Or at least I thought they were until I saw BSea's :)
Hey Mike, those are great presents. Just a word of caution. They get really slippery when they get soapy. I started cutting grooves in my latest ones. That's after I had to fix 2 that I also gave as presents. But those went to my daughter in law, and a niece. I found out that family expect a lifetime warranty.:rolleyes:

I think your blank looks pretty cool. You got really good color separation, and that's the key. A really good caster (Jonathon Brooks) that gave me pointers told me that it takes about a gallon to get your timing down. And even then, you still mess up from time to time. He was right. I bet I got maybe 25 decent blanks from my 1st gallon.

I was showing a buddy some pouring tips last weekend, and I had a batch set up too fast to pour. I did use the other colors, and got some good blanks out of it. So don't get discouraged, it's part of pouring.

I got into pouring because I thought it was fun, and I wanted to have some blanks that were unique. People that get into pouring to save money, will probably be disappointed unless they turn several hundred resin pens a year. So if you enjoy pouring, keep at it.

Waggoner

I just started pouring my own resin. It has definitely take me several attempts to get some blanks that I really like. I think the blanks look great. I really like the color combinations.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mike... I have done "a little" Alumilite. Bob's (BSea) comments are excellent... The first pours are "Lessons!."

I'll also add that the last razor (your blank?) looks excellent!! At this point you probably have learned 50-70% of the "lessons." Don't be discouraged, and go forward and do what you want!

Happy Holidays!

SDB777

Just a quart?

Most go through at least a gallon....or more. BTW, I see a lot of good things in that last blank. What kind of resin did you get, and where did you get it from?(I ask because the HobbyLobby stuff is crap)

Scott (keep at it) B

mike4066

Thanks for the advise everyone. The resin was from michaels that I picked up with a 40 percent coupon, don't remember the brand.

Initially I thought I could save some money by making my own blanks, the YouTube videos make it look so simple right. The first few failed, then I spent a lot of time reading the casting forum and managed to get a couple that I could turn. I think my biggest lesson was learning how little I knew, and and how much that education would really cost.

I might try pouring blanks again this summer, but because I want to try and save a few bucks.

turncrazy43

Mike, nice job. A bit off your subject but try Woodnwhimsies for your resins. Even with the shipping I believe they will beat your Michael's price even with the coupon. Check it out for yourself.

mike4066

Mike, nice job. A bit off your subject but try Woodnwhimsies for your resins. Even with the shipping I believe they will beat your Michael's price even with the coupon. Check it out for yourself.

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like it is cheaper.

mike4066

Both razors look good Mike. I really like the curve in the 2nd razor's handle.

Thanks.

I had an oopsie and gouged the blank. That was the best way to deal with it, and it turned out pretty nice.

Seems like I learn more by screwing up than getting it right the first time.

Nice razors... both boys will be proud to use them.... but what amazed me most...

You have a 13 year old that shaves??? I didn't shave regularly when I went into the Navy at 19... actually could shave every other day and get through morning inspections.

Top Bottom