Couple of slimlines

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from iamrohn

iamrohn

I haven't posted any pens for a while so I thought I'd share a mismatched pair I just assembled... I need to work on my photography skills more, I think, if I really want to show in photo what you see in life, but here's something to look at just the same.

An antique gun metal dressed in ebony with cocobolo accents, and antique bronze dressed in the same cocobolo and ebony. The ebony one isn't tapered as much at the tip end but still feels pretty good in the hand (I'm still experimenting with shape I like). Both sanded up to 1000 grit, sealed with Myland's, Tripoli and White Diamond on a Beall buffing system, then rubbed and hand buffed Renaissance Wax.

I wanted to avoid a CA "air-tight" finish because I've had good fun watching cocobolo from this source darken and turn more orange-red over the course of a month if left to nature (I believe I still owe @magpens a photo essay of this wood aging over time). I was leery of a friction polish for fear of cracking the ebony with too much heat. So many alternatives to list came out of a couple hours of Google time and I can't really say why I finally settled on this -- I think it being the first time I tried the Renaissance Wax tipped me over. In real life (not these photos) the pens have a more liquidy look to the finish, especially the cocobolo one. I'm excited to see how they age.

Slimlines are starting to find a comfortable place in my heart... they're not the most high end feeling but they don't have to be made to look like someone tightened their belt too much after a large Thanksgiving meal, which was my initial thought on them when I started out ;)

Thanks for reading and looking :)
PXL_20200930_150612177.jpgPXL_20200930_150631731.jpgPXL_20200930_150657687.jpgPXL_20200930_150715028.jpgPXL_20200930_150955798.jpgPXL_20200930_151023832.jpgPXL_20200930_151035122.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

One issue you might not have considered. Will your finish isolate the cocobolo? It is a highly toxic wood that many people are very allergic to. It can cause everything from rashes to asthma and conjunctivitis. For that reason, I cannot use it at all at the blind center. When I use it at home I use a finish that will completely seal the wood.

Alchemist

One issue you might not have considered. Will your finish isolate the cocobolo? It is a highly toxic wood that many people are very allergic to. It can cause everything from rashes to asthma and conjunctivitis. For that reason, I cannot use it at all at the blind center. When I use it at home I use a finish that will completely seal the wood.

I didn't know this about cocobolo!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

LK&T

First, those are great looking pens. Second, I'm getting ready to make a whole bunch of slimline pens. I've seen many pics of slimlines made like yours, with the segments made convex. It seems to be the "style" for a slimline. I plan on making mine with straight segments (is segments even the correct nomenclature?), and in fact have made one like that. I think it looks pretty good. For you, is it primarily a purely aesthetic decision?

Top Bottom