Couple of practice runs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from cntryboy1289

cntryboy1289

I had to remove some trees from the back yard and decided to give a few of the limbs a try in the lathe. I turned out a couple of rolling pins. The top one had way too much pith and of course started splitting on me, it was an oak limb. The second pin, not sure what kind of tree it was, had a scaly bark that didn't resemble any oak I had seen before,

The bottle stoppers were from a Cypress door bottom that had to be trimmed off. Our house is 122 years old and the door now sits in our foyer. I thought I would give them a try for my wife.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSCF0350.jpg
    DSCF0350.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 330
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fishinbo

They came out really good. Like the shapes of the rolling pins especially the handles. The stoppers are beautiful and well finished. Great job!

cntryboy1289

Thanks! I was real curious as to how Cypress that is over a hundred years old would turn. I had to keep sharpening my tools to keep from having tear out, but they took a sanding and polish very well.

The pins, my wife loved them, I shaped them to fit her hands, now if the smaller one will only not tear itself apart, it will be a miracle. Its still green and cracking more each day so it may be a throw away before too much longer if I cannot save it once it has dried.

Jeff

cntryboy1289

Thought someone might like to see where the stoppers came from........
I picked the door up from a salvage guy here in town. It was taken out of a house just a tad older than mine is. I wanted to make a hall tree out of it with a bench but couldn't cover up all of the mill work on the door. I took a piece of the ceiling out of the old chicken coop on the back of the house and make the shelf out of it and added the other touches. It will have a mirror centered in the window area of the door as soon as I can get to town. The little crosses and birds as well as the door knobs serve as coat and hat hangers so I guess it still serves as a hall tree.

I had to trim off some of the bottom of the door to level it up so I ended up with a scrap piece that was about two inches by the width of the door.

Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_0655.jpg
    IMG_0655.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

cntryboy1289

I think I am just going to let it stay they way it is now. My wife likes the rustic look that it has. It has aged pretty nicely and if I had to do anything, it might be to spray a satin coat of clear coat on it.

Thanks!

SteveG

You have a beautiful piece in that door, and it looks right at home (pun intended) in your house. If you want to preserve the look, why not just give it a coat of wax and call it done.

The pins are nice, and I am sure the handles get a lot of attention. Since you know the pith is a main problem causing splits, are you able to get a piece free of pith, or if too small, cut pieces to laminate for turning the pin roller. Ruff cut them over length, and let them dry more. Then you can cut away any end checking. Whatever you do, be sure to keep turnin' and keep having fun!

Top Bottom