Couple of ice fishing rods

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Joebobber

While cleaning out the garage last summer we found a couple broken fishing rods so I kept the ends. I just bought a new to me fish house and decided to make a few rods for it. The 1st one I made is pretty basic. It is wenge with hard maple, and my son complained that it didn't have a reel so the 2nd one has a walnut reel with a brownheart and maple handle. I used oak to attach the reel. I think I will need to put an eyelet on it to guide the line from the reel to the eyelets on the rod since it's a quarter to half twist away.

Attachments

• 20230207_091311.jpg
    20230207_091311.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 167
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Very cool. We don't have much of a winter down here but when it gets cold it's cold. I don't know if it's me getting older or what. Anyway if it keeps on I might have to look into getting one of those. Ha Ha.

Woodchipper

Very nice. Watching North Woods Law with the officers patrolling the frozen lakes in Maine and New Hampshire. I recall as a youngster many decades ago, they would set up ice shanties on Lake Erie out around the three Bass Islands off Port Clinton. The shanties were laid out in named streets, had a police chief, mayor and a post office.

Joebobber

Im so excited about my new fish house. My old 1 was soft sided and i smoked a bunch of trout in my garage and every time you set up the house it smells like smoked trout no matter what I do. My new 1 is hard sided 8x14. Got me a recliner, a couch, and a TV in it. Heres pics of it. Above the couch is a bed and the couch goes into a bed too. The black squares on the floor are the holes.

The blue 1 with the reel must be quite strong because my 22 year old son who is about 270lbs sat on it and its fine. I mean sat directly on it. Lol

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131_174052.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131_174052.jpg
    753.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Screenshot_20230131_174004.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131_174004.jpg
    805.8 KB · Views: 80
  • Screenshot_20230131_173952.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131_173952.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 77

bsshog40

I can remember ice fishing as a kid in Michigan. Use to go with my friend and his dad. He always told us, as soon as you break ice, hold on to the spud. First time I broke ice, there went the spud to the bottom of the lake. Lol Luckily, he had a spare. Never dropped one after that. Lol
Nice poles!!

Kenny Durrant

Wow! Now I'm confused. I thought you were talking about the little tents on the ice you sat in while fishing. If that's what this is what do you do when the water thaws out?

Joebobber

Wow! Now I'm confused. I thought you were talking about the little tents on the ice you sat in while fishing. If that's what this is what do you do when the water thaws out?
You pull it off the ice around end of February early March. The axle raises up so the floor drops down onto the ice. I have a lake less than a mile from my house. Once I can convice my wife to let me put tracks on our RZR I will be set. Plus we figured we could take it to shows with us. It's bigger than our tent and way smaller than our RV. Only issue is no bathroom but most fish houses dont have them anyway, until you get to the really big ones. But yeah its like camping in the winter out on the lake. Got rattle reels for the holes too.

Heres the outside, might give you a better idea Kenny.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230202-130855_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20230202-130855_Messages.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 64

Kenny Durrant

I must say that's a whole new ball game than what I thought ice fishing was. I guess I'm showing this southern boy doesn't get out much. Ha Ha. That's definitely the way to go. Thanks for sharing.

Woodchipper

Joebobber, that is roughing it smoothly. I recall an episode of North Woods Law where a shanty was left at the spring thaw. Had a time getting it out of the lake. Plus, they IDed the owner and he got a fine for not moving it plus paying for removing it.

Joebobber

Yeah by law you have to have them off the lake by a certain date. Unless it warms up early like this year. Last week when I bought this it was -20. Ever since it warmed up to the 30s and the ice never got really thick this year because of a snow storm we got. I probably won't be able to take it out this year.

Kenny you'll have to come up some time and I'll take you out. It really is a blast.

Top Bottom