Couple new ones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Humongous

Humongous

Got to work on some pens in the shop and like the way these turned out.

First is segmented with Maple and purple heart with a copper/brass/copper spacer. I was hoping for more contrast between the different metals but overall happy with the result.

Second is a blue dyed maple. I wanted to try dyeing and found these Dr ph martens watercolors around the house. Really happy with the color evenness and saturation into the maple. I tried some waterproof inks and didn't like the result, ended up turning it off to try this.

Both are PSI designer kits

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques welcome.

20200404_165450.jpg

20200411_150549.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sly Dog

I like them both, but the segmented pen in particular. Nice proportions of the segments and I think the different metals works very well - I hadn't thought of that. No issues with drilling? I've only used aluminum (1 layer) with epoxy and had occasional issues with them separating while drilling.

Humongous

I like them both, but the segmented pen in particular. Nice proportions of the segments and I think the different metals works very well - I hadn't thought of that. No issues with drilling? I've only used aluminum (1 layer) with epoxy and had occasional issues with them separating while drilling.
Thank you, I did have some issues. I started with a 7mm brad point and drilled about 1/4" in to establish a good center. I then switched to sharp standard bits and worked up to the 7mm with 2 smaller sizes. It still broke apart a couple times. Once I had it to the correct size I put painters tape over the end and put in some thin CA taped the other end and shook it around for a while. Dumped out the excess and let dry then glued in the tube. I've done the thin CA on all segmented blanks since I saw a member here recommend it, I think it was @John Eldeen , Haven't had a blow out on the lathe since.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
An excellent Duet! The segmented one is very attractive. The separation in the metals is subtle as you noted, but just just noticeable enough to give another visual element. Well done. 👍 👏

And the blue is very vibrant and looks almost like an acrylic. Beautiful finish.

Lucky2

Two very nice looking pens for sure, but what's up with the refill protruding beyond the end of the tip? Was it just not retracted fully, or was the pen a bit short for the refill?

Len

Humongous

Two very nice looking pens for sure, but what's up with the refill protruding beyond the end of the tip? Was it just not retracted fully, or was the pen a bit short for the refill?

Len
Thanks Len. I just checked the pen and it does fully retract. I didn't notice that in the photo, just a case of operator error. 😳

JettLake

Awesome job on both pens! I want to experiment with dyes. Did you mix the dye with anything? How many coats? Did you sand after dying? Thanks,
Jeff

Humongous

Awesome job on both pens! I want to experiment with dyes. Did you mix the dye with anything? How many coats? Did you sand after dying? Thanks,
Jeff
Thanks. I just put the water color on a folded paper towel and wiped it on until I got the coverage that I liked. This stuff covered really well so I guess it's just one coat, let dry, no sanding then finish. It was a lot easier than I expected.

JettLake

Thanks. I just put the water color on a folded paper towel and wiped it on until I got the coverage that I liked. This stuff covered really well so I guess it's just one coat, let dry, no sanding then finish. It was a lot easier than I expected.
Nice. I'm totally going to try it.

Dale Parrott

Got to work on some pens in the shop and like the way these turned out.

First is segmented with Maple and purple heart with a copper/brass/copper spacer. I was hoping for more contrast between the different metals but overall happy with the result.

Second is a blue dyed maple. I wanted to try dyeing and found these Dr ph martens watercolors around the house. Really happy with the color evenness and saturation into the maple. I tried some waterproof inks and didn't like the result, ended up turning it off to try this.

Both are PSI designer kits

Thanks for looking, comments and critiques welcome.

View attachment 236945

View attachment 236946
I just love that color. It reminds me of the color of my first car, or at least the way I remember it. Thanks for posting the product used.

KenB259

Both are very nice. I love the color blue you achieved and I'm very jealous of your Purple Heart. My Purple Heart never looks purple when I am done . I would offer one bit of advice, get a set of stubby centering bits. I have a cheap harbor frejght set, I'm not kidding, you will kick yourself for not getting them sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app no but B

Bryguy

I think the copper/brass/copper spacers worked really well, subtle, but there.
I need to start experimenting with dyes. How deep do they penetrate, or do you put them on just before the finish?

Humongous

Both are very nice. I love the color blue you achieved and I'm very jealous of your Purple Heart. My Purple Heart never looks purple when I am done . I would offer one bit of advice, get a set of stubby centering bits. I have a cheap harbor frejght set, I'm not kidding, you will kick yourself for not getting them sooner.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app no but B
Thanks Ken, I will put those on my shopping list for my next trip to Harbor Freight. For the purple heart, I like to leave it out in the sun for a while just before finishing. I don't know if the color will last any longer but it really makes it pop initially

Humongous

I think the copper/brass/copper spacers worked really well, subtle, but there.
I need to start experimenting with dyes. How deep do they penetrate, or do you put them on just before the finish?
I'm not sure about the penetration with this particular product. I just wiped it on and let dry right before the CA finish.

Top Bottom