02b2e024a9397e61be91aa6c4921aaf0.jpg

Madrepearlato-viola(violet) on and Nomad carbon fiber & gunmetal

a4e4cf3e0d26780c824f448611fd942f.jpg

Osage orange on gunmetal roadster

a09a7251dc3c039ec5515ed2b1feea1d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rwfish

Nice Pens. I love the Ambrosia Box Elder. I need to order that Nomad, looks great! I haven't yet tried anything other than wood and stabilized wood but look forward to it. Great job again.

Dehn0045

Some real beauties Greg! I like the Osage Orange. Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the wood got a little burned at the ends, possibly from using a disk sander to trim? I wonder if you could use a torch and get a char look. Anyway, very nice group of pens, great work!

Gdakins

Some real beauties Greg! I like the Osage Orange. Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like the wood got a little burned at the ends, possibly from using a disk sander to trim? I wonder if you could use a torch and get a char look. Anyway, very nice group of pens, great work!

They did get a little burned. I was using a barrel trimmer on the lathe at the lowest lowest speed. That wood was like a piece stone. Crazy hard! Also had issues drilling. Tried to go slow but still heated up and took a lot of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

Dehn0045

Some might see it as a flaw, but I like the look. The hard woods and endrain are a fun challenge.

OZturner

Magnificent Pens Greg.
The First Pen, with the Ambrosia Box Elder on a Gold Slimline Pro, is a Faultless Pen.
Glorious Blank, Superb Fit and Finish.
Your Second, The Gold Strike Genesis on Sierra Click Pen and Pencil,
Also has an Excellent Fit, but I don't know if it is the Blank, or the Finish, but a number of the Yellow colours seem Muted and a little Fuzzy. I don't know if that is the Blank, or the Finish.
Your Third, the Madrepearlato-Viola(violet) on and Nomad Carbon Fiber & Gunmetal, is a Fantastic Blank, Great Fit and Superb Finish.
Your Final Pen, is the Osage Orange on Gunmetal Roadster, The previous comments regarding the dark markings at the end of the Blanks. I have not done a lot of Osage Orange, but what I have I can't recall it being so hard, that it would Burn with a Barrel Trimmer, that is unless the Barrel Trim had only Four, and or Blunt Cutting Edges.
I would suggest that you consider checking the Cutting edges of the Trimmer, or better still, discard the trimmer in preference to the system shown in Ed's Youtube on Barrel Dressing see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzQ2Gla41dU

I look forward to seeing more of your Work.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Last edited:

Gdakins

Magnificent Pens Greg.
The First Pen, with the Ambrosia Box Elder on a Gold Slimline Pro, is a Faultless Pen.
Glorious Blank, Superb Fit and Finish.
Your Second, The Gold Strike Genesis on Sierra Click Pen and Pencil,
Also has an Excellent Fit, but I don't know if it is the Blank, or the Finish, but a number of the Yellow colours seem Muted and a little Fuzzy. I don't know if that is the Blank, or the Finish.
Your Third, the Madrepearlato-Viola(violet) on and Nomad Carbon Fiber & Gunmetal, is a Fantastic Blank, Great Fit and Superb Finish.
Your Final Pen, is the Osage Orange on Gunmetal Roadster, The previous comments regarding the dark markings at the end of the Blanks. I have not done a lot of Osage Orange, but what I have I can't recall it being so hard, that it would Burn with a Barrel Trimmer, that is unless the Barrel Trim had only Four, and or Blunt Cutting Edges.
I would suggest that you consider checking the Cutting edges of the Trimmer, or better still, discard the trimmer in preference to the system shown in Ed's Youtube on Barrel Dressing see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzQ2Gla41dU

I look forward to seeing more of your Work.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Brian,

It is the blank on the second pen. The colors are somewhat fuzzy. The other issue with those blanks was I did not paint the tubes. When I purchased the blanks the description said no need to paint the tubes because of the organic mesh in the blank. That part of the description has since been removed. I understand why. Luckily the person I made these for actually liked the gold color coming through a little. Imagine that! I had even offered to remake them and she refused.
I used a four edge barrel trimmer for the Osage orange. I had even sharpened it before using it. That piece of wood did a number on my tools also. I have done a few things with Osage orange in the past(this was the first pen) and never thought it was that hard either. The only place it burned was the center, the ends where fine. There was a very small knot close to the middle, so I wonder if that had something to do with it. Thanks for the video link. Always looking for better and easier ways to do things!

Top Bottom