couple for this weekend.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Woodnknots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodnknots

This weekend will be my last show till I return from my deployment. I figured I'd do something special for this one. Here's a couple of new ones.

Mahogany elevated lidded box
2007104141953_mahogopen1.jpg

2007104142011_mahogside1.jpg

Ramone burl natural edge
2007104142026_ramone%20natural%20edge1.jpg

I've got a bunch of this burl left over that I can't see being able to turn before I leave, so I'll probably cut it into pen blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Milpaul

Love the look of the elevated lidded box. Do you achieve the elevated legs by just using the flat sides of the blank or is there a trick to it?

Woodnknots

Originally posted by Milpaul
<br />Love the look of the elevated lidded box. Do you achieve the elevated legs by just using the flat sides of the blank or is there a trick to it?
Initially I thought I could just turn an inverted square bowl, but it turns out I had to do a bunch of hand work to get the legs to look like that. They are not all completely symmetrical as a result of all the hand carving. I used an angle grinder with a 36 grit sanding disk for the rough outside work, then used microplanes to finish the look. Lots of sanding and voila!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Those are both exquisite. I love the shape of the first one, that is very unique and very creative. I absolutely adore the wood and natural edge of the second one!!!

GK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom