Countdown Timer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

I forget to shut off the power strip when I leave the shop. The dust collect, lathe, shop light, battery charger is on the strip. I'm looking for a simple countdown timer that can be set for x amount of hours to shut off. Please recommend if you are using one. Thanks, Frank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Not sure why you would need a timer because you can hear dust collector running, see the light on and the battery charger is fine. Question is will you remember to set timer each time? I would suggest if you have a set of switches that you turn off as you leave such as light switches, then put that outlet that the strip is plugged into on a switch close to the ones you hit on the way out. Just a suggestion.

WriteON

Not sure why you would need a timer because you can hear dust collector
Most of the time all machines, dust color are shut off. I might be charging batteries or listening to a disc that ended... Later I walk into garage and shop light is still on whatever. Just as a safeguard I'd like the power to shut down automatically, As for killing the lights there is no switch...ceiling lights are on motion detectors. Will I remember to set the timer each time... yes as it has to be turned on to begin with. I understand your points but they do not apply...but thanks. Looking for a simply dial timer.
EDIT... I saw a few timers to choose from....just wanted to see what others are using.

BULLWINKLE

Most of the time all machines, dust color are shut off. I might be charging batteries or listening to a disc that ended... Later I walk into garage and shop light is still on whatever. Just as a safeguard I'd like the power to shut down automatically, As for killing the lights there is no switch...ceiling lights are on motion detectors. Will I remember to set the timer each time... yes as it has to be turned on to begin with. I understand your points but they do not apply...but thanks. Looking for a simply dial timer.
EDIT... I saw a few timers to choose from....just wanted to see what others are using.
Timers are cheap and available at Home Despot or Lowes. Mechanical are a bit cheaper than the digital ones but either will do the job.

monophoto

When we built our new home, I self-assigned projects to construct a darkroom at one end of the basement, and a shop at the other end. I wired the darkroom to have a single switch next to the door that controlled all of the lighting as well as fan that pulls air in from the basement, through a filter, and then exhausts into the darkroom to provide fresh air and create slight positive pressure to control dust migration. There are additional switches next to the enlarging station to control the white light and safelight. That way, when I leave the darkroom and switch off the light, I know that the lights and fan are all switched off.

I thought about doing something like that in the shop, but the difference was that the machines I anticipated having in the shop were considerably larger than the fairly miniscule loads in the darkroom, and the load would be greater than a standard wall toggle switch could handle. But the concept would make a lot of sense in a shop. To actually do it, however, would require that a special switch be used, and that unlike my darkroom, all of the receptacles would also have to feed through that switch. This would call for what is often termed a 'safety switch'. Here's a picture of what they look like. They also aren't cheap - depending on the rating, the price could be hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

I understand how it might make sense to use timers on things like a dust collection system, and they are relatively easy to find (especially this time of year when they are sold for controlling holiday decorations). The one concern I would have is that most of the inexpensive mechanical timers you see in the big-box stores have a cheap plastic gear train, and are designed to have a fairly short life expectancy. Also, check the ratings carefully - I suspect many of these devices are designed to switch the popular LED decorative lighting, and may not be able to switch the heavier loads associated with shop machinery.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter 246.jpg
    ScreenHunter 246.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 40

WriteON

I ordered a simple countdown timer. The goal is to insure the power strip is off. That takes care of everything. I will follow up. Thanks for all replies.

dogcatcher

I don't have a timer. But I used to try to leave my air cleaner running and return 30 minutes later to turn it off. Sometimes it will run for days before I "return". But most times I remembered to go and turn it off.

WriteON

I don't have a timer. But I used to try to leave my air cleaner running and return 30 minutes later to turn it off. Sometimes it will run for days before I "return". But most times I remembered to go and turn it off.
That's what's happening. I go into the house and get caught up with other stuff and forget to go back.

WriteON

Works fine. Lathe & Duct collector simply logged into outlet. Thanks for all replies

Attachments

• 03EE875D-9C8B-47C6-9441-08DDE82FBFD8.jpeg
    03EE875D-9C8B-47C6-9441-08DDE82FBFD8.jpeg
    377 KB · Views: 53
  • F1FAD052-38F9-4ED3-8D50-6E5341AA66C5.jpeg
    F1FAD052-38F9-4ED3-8D50-6E5341AA66C5.jpeg
    321.6 KB · Views: 49
Top Bottom