Cottonwood vase...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Hendu3270

Hendu3270

Turned this vase shortly after finding the wood while taking the boys trick or treating this year. my 11 yr old and 8 yr old, all decked out to get some candy, helped me lug several sections from a few houses down the street back home. We hit a few extra houses since helped out dad!! Stands about 8.5" tall and the piece had a huge worm in it with extensive damage. Worked out well for the final piece. Turned wet and the rim warped a little as it dried which adds to its character.

Attachments

• Cottonwood1.jpg
    Cottonwood1.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 341
  • Cottonwood2.jpg
    Cottonwood2.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 213
  • Cottonwood3.jpg
    Cottonwood3.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I know that I am not supposed to "Covet". Having seen this vase, I am now working on my character flaw:redface: Great wood and great turning job!

robutacion

Not many people have the "nerve" to even try turning something like that, you done very well and the results are the proof...!

As for the large worm found in the wood, you seem to have been spared of a mouth full of worm material, they are well know to make a mess in one's face when turned through, not nice, believe me I know...!

Well done,
Cheers
George

76winger

I'm in awe of how people can make beautiful vases like that, with incredible voids, and not have them flying in all directions throughout the shop.

Nice work!

Hendu3270

Thanks for the kind words guys. It was definitely a little nerve racking when I started the hollowing process, but once I got past the rim it wasn't so bad. The rim was actually complete (without the break) but the small piece that bridged the gap did go flying at some point and was never found.

Interesting thing...I decided to make a small paper clip dispenser to replace the clear plastic one I've had at work for over 15 years and figured I would grab one of the smaller pieces of this cottonwood (it was about 2-1/2" in diameter). When I trued it up and shut off the lathe to take a look, I was greeted by some very nice spalting lines. This makes me wonder about the rest of the wood sitting there, and also how much longer I have before the wood might become unworkable.

Hendu3270

It's not awesome, it's FREAKING AWESOME.:laugh:
Thank you so much for showing. I reckon if it was my piece I would be doing a be of skiteing as well. Great job.

Bob.

Chris, I should have asked in my post. DUH.

Did you use some sort of support to stop the piece from exploding????

Thanks.

Bob.

Bob,

In reference to the large voids, no, I didn't use anything to support those areas. I do however, use a steady-rest I made a few months ago. I use it on most turnings of this size once I get past the neck area for a little piece of mind, not from the piece coming apart, but simply to stabilize it on the lathe. Hope this helps.

Top Bottom