CORYMBIA maculata AKA Spotted Gum

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

DSCF9267.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Two images nevermind the tree has a gray stem with white bark which flakes leaving conspicuous spots giving rise to its common name Spotted Gum. It is indiginous to Australia. I have used it for Hammer Handles,this blank is the only Burl piece of the timber I have seen.

Peter.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful as always Peter. I really enjoy seeing the variety of finished pens you post with local timbers. It is a great resource for anyone who is lucky enough to obtain any of these materials. Carry on.

magpens

@PenPal
Beautiful, again, Peter ... I love looking at your pens, and I love the scientific names you post. . Every time you show a pen I relive fond memories of my 12 years living in Australia, in the hill country skirting Adelaide, among some of the trees that produce the woods you use.

robutacion

Hi Peter,

Beautiful piece of wood and a very elegant pen, congrats.

Some years back I found some great Spotted Gum root burls, they were a hit among pen turners and what I thought was a fair amount of burl, it disappeared in no time.

More recently I found a good chunk of this burl that I cut into pen blanks but I utilised all the max. lengths it gave me instead of endup with lots of shorts so some pieces are 10" long and anything between it and 5" that I got from the shorts pieces.

These are not from the tree root but from the trunk and that is quite rare to see, I got them waxed and divided into 2 piles one with the normal 5" long pieces and others with anything over 5", they have been waxed for some weeks and I noticed that some of the long pieces are getting a slight bow, I knew that the wood was wet and probably not 100% dry, I never got the moisture meter on them so I'm not sure.

They were put aside just in case and every time I go to the "lolly-shop" I see them and thing in making sets, take pics and list them on my web-store but that hasn't happened yet but what I have done was to take a pic of the piles and those you can see, I believe they will make stunning pens such as this one you've done.

Enjoy.

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 132
Top Bottom