Cortona Chrome Twist Pen Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

qquake

I made a couple way back in 2016. The first blank is Alabama Swirl, and the second is Fiery Brown Embers. Both have the stylus end. I don't really remember what my impressions were, other than they use Cross refills.

Attachments

• done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    327.5 KB · Views: 86
  • done02.JPG
    done02.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 82
  • done03.JPG
    done03.JPG
    338.5 KB · Views: 65
  • done04.JPG
    done04.JPG
    322.5 KB · Views: 63
  • done05.JPG
    done05.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 59
  • done06.JPG
    done06.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 61
  • done07.JPG
    done07.JPG
    158.7 KB · Views: 66
  • done01.JPG
    done01.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 62
  • done02.JPG
    done02.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 67
  • done03.JPG
    done03.JPG
    320.4 KB · Views: 56
  • done04.JPG
    done04.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 52
  • done06.JPG
    done06.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 58
  • done05.JPG
    done05.JPG
    310.3 KB · Views: 52
  • done07.JPG
    done07.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 90

jttheclockman

Thanks Jim. I did order a few to give a try. Looking for a longer one piece tube kit and maybe this will be it. I did not get with stylus. The refill is not a problem for me. Both Parker and Cross are readily available.

I did read that the tube length is critical with these for the tranny to work proper. Now you say you do not remember the kit but do you remember there being an issue with tranny?? I do like the fact it is in the cap. Thanks.

I like your subtle shape with long curve to the blank. I hope to duplicate that. One thing I always said about your photos, you sure do give every angle of kit and it really helps to get a feel of your pens. In catalogs you do not get to see all angles of kits and sometimes we wonder what the cap looks like and other parts but can always look back to your photos. You do try many kits for sure. I would be curious what would you say over the years is your favorite kit and why?

Last edited:

KenB259

I have made lots of them with no issues with the tranny. Sometimes you do have to fiddle with them for the brass to snap into place at the nib end. If you look at the photo "done07", you will see it wasnt seated correctly, just needs to be fiddled with a bit, nothing major. Just a personal preference, but I have been steering clear of pens that use a cross refill. I can tell you that this pen has lots of meat for segmenting. Im at work, so I don't have access to photos. If I have any left to sell I'll try and take some quick photos tonight.

Last edited:

jttheclockman

I have made lots of them with no issues with the tranny. Sometimes you do have to fiddle with them for the brass to snap into place at the nib end. If you look at the photo "done07", you will see it wasnt seated correctly, just needs to be fiddled with a bit, nothing major. Just a personal preference, but I have been steering clear of pens that use a cross refill. I can tell you that this pen has lots of meat for segmenting. Im at work, so I don't have access to photos. If I have any left to sell I'll try and take some quick photos tonight.
Thanks. I too do not use cross refills much but this kit caught my eye as I was scanning PSI because I needed to pick up a couple Majestic kits from them so thought I would give it a try. Trying to make my sister a pen and want to add watch parts and right now leaning toward a Professor kit but want to see this one. Both have the cap tranny that I like.

KenB259

Thanks. I too do not use cross refills much but this kit caught my eye as I was scanning PSI because I needed to pick up a couple Majestic kits from them so thought I would give it a try. Trying to make my sister a pen and want to add watch parts and right now leaning toward a Professor kit but want to see this one. Both have the cap tranny that I like.
I guarantee you would have room for watch parts with the Cortona, I believe the barrel wall thickness is real close to .125 .

qquake

I can't remember if I had transmission issues or not. Have you tried the Zen or Crooked Mill magnetic? They have long bodies.

I always take lots of photos. Sometimes 100 or more per pen. Photos are my journal.

Attachments

• 070.jpg
    070.jpg
    479.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 075.jpg
    075.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 060.jpg
    060.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 065.jpg
    065.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 43
  • wavy04.jpg
    wavy04.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 42

jttheclockman

Yes on the Zen. Made a few of those. Nice kit but not a big fan of the magnet. I think a snap cap would be better. 100 photos per pen Wow.

Attachments

• Copy of IMGP0301.JPG
    Copy of IMGP0301.JPG
    682.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Copy_of_IMGP0396__1550712687_44979.jpg
    Copy_of_IMGP0396__1550712687_44979.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMGP0254.JPG
    IMGP0254.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 37
  • IMGP1049.JPG
    IMGP1049.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 36

jttheclockman

Got my order from PSI. I really never had a problem with them and delivery is fast. Have to say the Majestic kits are being still top of the line kit that comes out of that place. Got a few more. I think I am going to like this Cortona kit. Well built and solid. You can just know after dealing with kits for so long. The tube has to be the smallest diameter tube I ever used. Have to watch what watch faces I use with this to be able to bend in that tight a radius . Could be a challenge. I am always up for a challenge. This zip and desire to return to pen turning is a great feeling. I feel invigorated again. there was a lull for various reasons but this winter I have been able to make a few pens because i have no real large projects pending. I am holding off showing any just yet because I want to get a whole bunch done and just figure out a posting schedule. I think some people will be amused seeing them. Happy Turning.

Cmiles1985

I have a Cortona floating around somewhere that I made for myself and one I made for my wife (pictured). I also still have a few kits hiding in my shop. I really like the looks of the hardware, but I have a hard time getting behind the use of a Cross style refill.
Maybe I'll glue a couple of the kits up tomorrow while I have some shop time 🤔

I have made a few of the Zen kits, and actually, it's one of the first really nice pens that I made for myself. However, I did not find it very comfortable to write with for any period of time. I used to carry it in the field as the magnetic cap was quite handy for quickly identifying mild steel or ferritic stainless heat exchangers during plant outages. However, I've switched to something more comfy (a Liberty) with no magnetic cap.

Attachments

• IMG_3214.jpg
    IMG_3214.jpg
    519.7 KB · Views: 39

jttheclockman

The more photos I see of this kit used I really like it. I have now seen the kit in person and will soon turn a few. It is a nice alternative to the Zen in my opinion. That is my one piece tube kit I use. other than sierra style kits.

Top Bottom