Corporate ballpoint - Chrome & Zerbawood

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wmillman

wmillman

Fresh off the lathe this morning, chrome plating & Zerbawood finished with 5 coats of Shellawax.

Attachments

• IMG_7999-E.jpg
    IMG_7999-E.jpg
    933.4 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_8000-E.jpg
    IMG_8000-E.jpg
    948.8 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_8001-E.jpg
    IMG_8001-E.jpg
    927.9 KB · Views: 139
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

@wmillman

Nice work on P.E.I. . ! ! !

That Zebrawood is almost as nice as BOW ! !

The Corporate ballpoint is a lot like the Executive (which costs a tiny bit more).

Is the Corporate a double twist ?

How long does it take to do the 5 coats of Shellawax ? . . . including the wait time between coats .

wmillman

@wmillman

Nice work on P.E.I. . ! ! !
Thanks
That Zebrawood is almost as nice as BOW ! !

The Corporate ballpoint is a lot like the Executive (which costs a tiny bit more).
Not much difference really, same tube size and bushings I think, and it has a little different clip, not sure on the twist if it's the same, the Executive has more plating options.
Is the Corporate a double twist ?
No it's just single.
How long does it take to do the 5 coats of Shellawax ? . . . including the wait time between coats .
You can put them on one right after each other, no more than 15min I don't think, after I apply a coat I turn the lathe up to about 1500 RPM and really burnish that coat in, let it spin for another min to let it cool a bit then turn lathe speed down to 350 and repeat.

wmillman

Wendell

Nice work looks good . How's it feel in the hand though to use ?
Feels good, to be truthful it's not the type of pen I would use as a daily pen, I am more of a Slimline / Streamline type of guy, I am guessing that's because it's more like the type of pen I have used most of my life. Shellawax is just another friction polish and as with most friction polishes out there you need friction / heat to make go into the wood. It's the one I started with and have had good success with and I don't have any reason to change at this point I found out I can't use CA when I did my first unstabilized Black Palm when I was soaking it to help turn. This is basically odorless and it seems to be doing the job at least for now.

howsitwork

Feels good, to be truthful it's not the type of pen I would use as a daily pen, I am more of a Slimline / Streamline type of guy, I am guessing that's because it's more like the type of pen I have used most of my life. Shellawax is just another friction polish and as with most friction polishes out there you need friction / heat to make go into the wood. It's the one I started with and have had good success with and I don't have any reason to change at this point I found out I can't use CA when I did my first unstabilized Black Palm when I was soaking it to help turn. This is basically odorless and it seems to be doing the job at least for now.
Thanks for the update. I too and struggling with CA but like Melamine lacquer which flows on well and gives a hard finish. I ve used danish oi" on Lignum Vitae as it seals it well and stops the smell from it ! As well as giving a nice tactile finish

Kcimdrib

I like it alot nice kit great finish well done. Like you I use a friction polish less mess no smell and fingerprint recognition works on my phone.
I top it off with Microcrystalline Wax.

wmillman

I like it alot nice kit great finish well done. Like you I use a friction polish less mess no smell and fingerprint recognition works on my phone.
I top it off with Microcrystalline Wax.
Thanks for the kind words, so do you use a buffer after applying the Microcrystalline Wax ? or you just buff with paper towel on the lathe? I was thinking of trying the Microcrystalline Wax but it's not exactly cheep here in Canada, neither is the Shellawax and I notice that one of our Canadian pen suppliers has increased the price of the Shellawax 250ml bottle by $8.00 which is quite an increase.

Kcimdrib

I use it very sparingly I apply a small amount with my finger then buff with a cotton cloth on the Lathe. I have been using it for months and and the pot still seems full.
It's only too seal the Friction Polish it protects it from moisture and acidity.
And retains a high gloss.
I also apply 2 coats of friction polish with the Lathe off just rub along the blank till it shines then 2 coats with the Lathe running followed by Wax.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom