Cork Tree Burl Jr Gent II

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dehn0045

Dehn0045

This is my first Jr Gent II and my first 2-piece capped pen. The Cork Tree Burl is from George's Bits of Timber and I stabilized using cactus juice. All C&C welcome.

Attachments

• PSX_20180408_155155.jpg
    PSX_20180408_155155.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 263
  • PSX_20180408_155118.jpg
    PSX_20180408_155118.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 256
  • PSX_20180408_154914.jpg
    PSX_20180408_154914.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 210
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Great work, Sam !!!! . That seems to be lovely wood, and I would also have expected it to require stabilization. Do you do that under vacuum ? .... or under pressure ? Do you use Cactus Juice ?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Excellent final results. The blank looks awesome - after your preparations!

Thanks for sharing, I love the timber colors!

PatrickR

Very nice! Great looking pen and photos.

Poke around here and look at some that have the cap finial replaced with matching wood. I think it adds a nice touch.

Dehn0045

Great work, Sam !!!! . That seems to be lovely wood, and I would also have expected it to require stabilization. Do you do that under vacuum ? .... or under pressure ? Do you use Cactus Juice ?

Thanks Mal. The wood was probably solid enough to turn without stabilization, but I feared that the finished pen would be susceptible to denting and cracking, that's why I chose to stabilize. It had the added benefit that it filled some small voids that were present in the wood. I did use cactus juice and vacuum using my homemade pickle jar chamber. It didn't pick up as much resin as some of the other woods, but still finished at about 1.6X dried weight, and turning indicated that it was quite solid throughout.

Dehn0045

Very nice! Great looking pen and photos.

Poke around here and look at some that have the cap finial replaced with matching wood. I think it adds a nice touch.

Thanks Patrick, I'll have to check that out, I have a few more Jr Gent II kits that I'm really itching to make now.

magpens

Thanks a lot, Sam. That is really interesting and useful to know !

Thanks Mal. The wood was probably solid enough to turn without stabilization, but I feared that the finished pen would be susceptible to denting and cracking, that's why I chose to stabilize. It had the added benefit that it filled some small voids that were present in the wood. I did use cactus juice and vacuum using my homemade pickle jar chamber. It didn't pick up as much resin as some of the other woods, but still finished at about 1.6X dried weight, and turning indicated that it was quite solid throughout.

robutacion

Beautiful pen and workmanship, I believe this is the first pen I seen made with the more recent Cork tree burl I salvaged and processed.

Like you said, the blanks seem stable enough to handle without stabilisation, however, doing so, can only be a great improvement in general.

For those that don't have a stabilisation station but would like to try these blanks, you can easily achieve the wood hardening process by using super thin CA as you are getting to final sizes and off-course, the CA finish can only be a strengthening stage particularly if the wood was neither stabilised or soaked with thin CA as turning.

Thank you for providing the origin of the blank...!:wink:

Cheers
George

Top Bottom