Corian question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Does anyone still use Corian for pen blanks, or as segments in pen blanks ?

I think it is a mixture of resin and "stone" dust/particles, but not real sure of its composition.

Is it OK to cut it on a table saw ? . Will it harm the carbide-tipped blade much ?

I acquired quite a bit but have never tried it and am thinking that I should use up some of it before it goes to waste !! . ;)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TG Design

I just finished one the other day. I used aluminum and epoxied every thing together. Not sure if epoxy is the right adhesive, but seemed to work fine. Anyone have a better suggestion for bonding the Corian to aluminum to the brass tubes?
IMG_4037.JPG

PBorowick

"Corian is a brand of solid surface material created by DuPont. Its primary use is as a countertop/benchtop surface, though it has many other applications. It is composed of acrylic polymer and alumina trihydrate (ATH), a material derived from bauxite ore. "

Not much there that I can see dulling a tool any worse than some woods we use.

magpens

Hey, Tim .... that's a good looking pen !!! . Good thing that I asked the question, eh .... now we got to see it !!! :)

Dunno how you get that perfectly twisted shape like you do !!! . It's really nice !!!

TG Design

Thanks, that Corian finished nice. I sanded to 1200 grit and then buffed. Also, the aluminum "dust" does not discolor or contaminate the Corian. Now to make another one.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have made 30-40 modified slims with corian and really like it. Cuts easily on table/band saw. Turnes easily and takes a great finish. The only downside is that it is not a really hard "composite", so it can scratch if enough pressure is applied.

For me: turn/dry sand to final dimensions. Wet sand abranet to 600; wet sand micromesh to 12,000; McGuires Plastic Polish. I don't usually buff/wax - I'm lazy. I usually make the modified slims and give them away to service folks.

Attachments

• IMG_3340.jpg
    IMG_3340.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 186

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I just finished one the other day. I used aluminum and epoxied every thing together. Not sure if epoxy is the right adhesive, but seemed to work fine. Anyone have a better suggestion for bonding the Corian to aluminum to the brass tubes? View attachment 226773

I've used both CA and epoxy for corian-corian (for my centerbands). Both have been fine. I do scruff the two sides.

Anything with metal I use epoxy and let set overnight.

randyrls

One point with Corian; IT IS BRITTLE! Pressing in the fittings will often crack the corian. You may want to "expand" the ends of the brass tubes and use glue to install the fittings. I use a transfer punch to expand the ends of the bare tube(s) so the fittings are a slide fit. Insert the punch into the end of the tube and spin it in a circle. You may want to add a layer of two of tape to the bushings. Then put a drop of glue on the inside of the tube and with a twisting, turning motion slide the fittings on.

turncrazy43

Most of the stock comes from cut offs. The pieces can be glued with CA to make various color combinations. Joints are pretty mush invisible. Barry Gross showed how either on a video or one of his books a number o years ago.
Turncrazy43

Top Bottom