Cored Ash Bowls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alankulwicki7

alankulwicki7

So I bought a McNaughton coring set over a year ago and didn't have the time to try it out (I was also a little reluctant to screw something up :eek:). Well last month at the local woodturning club meeting, one of the members showed us how to use this system.

I tried out my system on a couple of bowls last month and yesterday I finished my first three bowl set. These aren't perfect but I think they turned out really nice. The wood is Ash and the largest bowl is about 12" in diameter. Finish is a blend of beeswax and mineral oil.

C and C welcome!

Attachments

• ashset1.jpg
    ashset1.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 202
  • ashset2.jpg
    ashset2.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 187
  • ashset3.jpg
    ashset3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 133
  • ashset4.jpg
    ashset4.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 132
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

Those look really great. How difficult is the coring system to use? Is this the progression of work:
-turn the outside contour,
-then the inside of the smallest bowl,
-core out the small bowl,
-turn the inside of the next bowl, and
etc. until you get to the largest bowl?

Once cored, how do you clean up the outside of the inner bowls? Do you use a jamb chuck?

SDB777

Did you go from green timber to finished all at once, or was this done over 'some time'?

Coring is definitely on the 'short list', so tired of wasting all that material to shavings on the floor....BTW, nice piece of ash you have there!!!

Scott (piece of ash, get it?) B

alankulwicki7

Those look really great. How difficult is the coring system to use? Is this the progression of work:
-turn the outside contour,
-then the inside of the smallest bowl,
-core out the small bowl,
-turn the inside of the next bowl, and
etc. until you get to the largest bowl?

Once cored, how do you clean up the outside of the inner bowls? Do you use a jamb chuck?

The system was easier that I thought. The biggest things are to get the cutting edge on center and to be sure you know where it is when coring the blank. I know there is still a lot for me to learn about it but I think it went well for this set...

Here's what I did:

-Using a faceplate, I turn the outside of the large bowl
-Flip the blank 180 and core the larger inside bowl
-Finish the inside of the large bowl
-Re-mount the faceplate to the core and turn the outside (leaving a tenon)
-Flip the blank 180 and core the smaller bowl
-Finish the inside of this bowl
-Re-mount the faceplate to the remaining core and turn the outside (leaving a tenon)
-Flip the blank 180 and core the smaller bowl
-Finish the inside of the smallest bowl

Then I carefully remove the tenons and viola!

alankulwicki7

Did you go from green timber to finished all at once, or was this done over 'some time'?

Coring is definitely on the 'short list', so tired of wasting all that material to shavings on the floor....BTW, nice piece of ash you have there!!!

Scott (piece of ash, get it?) B

Scott,

I did this in a matter of a few hours. The wood was still somewhat green but definitely not dry. I like utility pieces so I don't mind a little curve to them when they are done. In fact, I turned the bowls on Wednesday and then removed the tenons yesterday and the larger bowl was already out of round by about an inch.

Not only did I get some extra bowls out of this, I think I saved some time by coring.

Bob Wemm

Nice looking bowl set, love the colour contrast.
I mount my blank on a faceplate and cut a tenon (5") on the base.
Then I core out all the bowls, starting with the smallest obviously, then I remount each piece in to my Cole Jaws and cut a tenon on each one.
They are then finished as necessary.

Bob.

Bob Wemm

Then I core out all the bowls, starting with the smallest obviously, then I remount each piece in to my Cole Jaws and cut a tenon on each one.

Bob.

Geez Doug, sorry if I killed your thread.:mad:

Bob.

alankulwicki7

Bob.

Geez Doug, sorry if I killed your thread.:mad:

Bob.

No worries, Bob. Sometimes I just skim thru IAP and I missed your post. :eek:

Before I went to the demo, I thought that was how the process worked. The demonstrator said he started with the largest first because then if he gets a catch or screws something up, he's less likely to lose a good bowl.
This was only my second completed set using my coring system so I will likely try your way as well.

I do know that I will probably use the coring set on most bowls now. Even if I don't get a good bowl out of the middle, it sure is a time saver to core out the center. :)

Take care!

stonepecker

I love the concept and the fact that there is less wasted wood.
These bowls look great. And if they get out of round a little makes each one special and one of a kind.

Jim Burr

Banned
Thank you, thank you, thank you for the post Mr Kulwicki!! Tossing between the One way and McK. In the desert we have a short supply of wet timber. You sure put on a great on-line demo! With so many source videos...I won't labor you with the questions. Great job sir!

Top Bottom