Coracles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from howsitwork

howsitwork

Bit of a change from pens in scale but damn good fun. Plus you can go boating in them afterwards.

We made this one from wet ASH lats interwoven then clench nailed together ( mainly although some screws were used ) . Then covered in this case with Cordura but usually we use calico then paint them to waterproof . The calico shrinks tight when wet and we let it dry then paint . This was at Dunbar time and tide festival finished today so a two day build.

1654463413530.jpeg

The other completed uncovered frame is still on our work bench to the right

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

That's really cool! Looks very sturdy and seaworthy (for calm waters anyway). Do you race them or are they just a casual use boat?

Near where I live, every year they hold a cardboard regatta, where people build as sturdy a boat as possible using plain cardboard and duct tape. (Everyone gets the same kit materials to build their "boat"). Then they race them. Most entries don't even make it across the finish line. Good thing the water is only about 4' deep where they race.

showcaser

Outstanding. What does it weigh? Looks as though you could carry it on your back like a backpack and hike to the lake or pond.

dogcatcher

My dad used a canvas covered boat in the 1940s and 50s to fish on the Concho River in West Texas. Wood slat frame covered with cotton ducking and then painted.

howsitwork

Well they weigh in at about 40Lb or so depending upon what you've used to to waterproof them, slat thickness etc. Easy to carry using the strap across your shoulder or cross torso for longer distances. If it rains they make excellent shelters , kind of turtle like .

Traditional ones were woven willow and animal skins originally. This evolved into the woven slats made from fresh cut or riven timber. Ash is especially favoured as it bends well when wet . Calico , as it shrinks when wet to tighten the skin up has been used for the last few centuries and pitch or tar to waterproof them took over from lanolin / animal fat as more durable. you

The ones we did at Dunbar are unique as they do have "ends" but that was because we couldn't get enough thin and wet slats to bend them as well wanted so rather than let people down we adapted the design to suit.

Yes they paddle rather well but not in the traditional sense of side paddling . You use a figure of 8 motion in the water and draw the boat towards the paddle . If you side paddle you merely spin round. You can side paddle using a different technique which I haven't mastered . They were and still are used on certain rivers as they are highly portable, manoeuvrable and have a very shallow draught of about 4" depending upon your weight displacement. Fishermen set nets using them as they don't disturb the fish much.

One has been used to cross the channel to France some years back but the paddler was an ex Royal marine commando , so not you're everyday guy .

Sadly Pete the addition of bulwarks does nothing for directional ability, if you don't paddle properly you spin like a top. 🤦‍♂️

They are best stored hung by the carrying strap not yet fitted on this one but the advantage of the bulwarks is you can stand them on end easier rather than hung up.

Great fun to play about in and kids love them.

NB like at my model engineering club we have NO ADULTS , merely kids ranging in age from 12 to 93 🤫 away from our wives supervision.

Any questions ask me and I'll try to get answers from Dave ( right hand end of photo) who's been building them for over 22 years that I know of and is in the coracle society.

Top Bottom