copperhead sierra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jimskio

jimskio

I found this snake on the road last year and sent it to Dawn and she sent me a few blanks of the skin. This is the first snake skin blank I have turned and I am happy with the way it turned out, just not happy with my photography skills at this point. Copperhead on a black ti/platinum Sierra. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

jimskio

Attachments

• P5110440.JPG
    P5110440.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 454
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

I really like that. I've been watching for some copperhead skins/blanks/roadkill to make a pen or two myself.

This isn't a criticism, more of an observation. Why did you have the clip go over the the middle of the dark brown marking? It seems like the dark brown would be the part you wanted displayed the most, not hidden by the clip. Don't get me wrong, I love the pen.

jimskio

I put the clip there to cover the seam in the skin. Although you have to look pretty hard to see the seam, Dawn did a great job on this blank.

jimskio

Jim Smith

Nice job! I have the same pen on the two-tone copper Sierra and it is my favorite every-day pen. It always generates lots of comments, some of them kind of humorous. I was at a clients office and a couple of folks asked questions about the pen I was using. I explained how I had found a copperhead on my sidewalk by my backdoor and that I taught it to write. A little while later a very attractive young lady stopped me in the office hallway and said "Can I see your snake?" I don't think she intended it to come out that way because as I stood there mulling over how to respond to her question, I noticed that she started to turn a dark shade of red. I let the question pass and simply said, "Oh sure, and handed the pen to her." She ended up ordering one for her husband.

You're right, Dawn does outstanding work and both her and Ed are terrific folks to do business with.

Jim Smith

Arcadia

Pen looks awesome. Shouldn't the scales be going down toward the tail(tip)? First thing that caught my eye. Not a criticism just an observation.

Pat

jimskio

Thanks everyone. Seems like all of the copperheads I find here are darker in color as is this one. I assume it is for them to blend in with all of the dead pine straw and oak leaves that are on the ground. You really have a hard time seeing them in the leaves. As bad as it is for the snakes, I really wish I could find more.

jimskio

KenV

Understand snake skins might be easier to come by along the Mississippi and tributaries now (according to new reports - they are also looking for high ground.

Top Bottom