Copperband Butterfly Fish, hand engraved

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Getting back into old school engraving, and this little copperband butterfly fish (Chelmon rostratus) was a worthy subject.

Steps:
Taped a 4x6" 24 ga. copper sheet onto a wood block, took it to the CA Academy of Sciences.
Did a quick pencil life drawing of the little guy.
Hand-push-engraved it using Steve Lindsay's point geometry/sharpening templates to grind onglette and 116 degree universal parallel point gravers (carbide steel, diamond stones, 260-2,000 grit).
Did the chasing (hammer down) and repousse (hammer back out) with hand ground HSS tools & chasing hammer, occasionally annealing the copper sheet with a propane torch.
Selectively darkened some areas with liver of sulfur (aka potassium polysulfides, wearing gloves, working outdoors); stopping the reaction with hand-rubbed baking soda paste.
Fine-sanded some areas to add texture.
Pressure washed the piece with a garden hose.
Fixed it with Nikolas brand brass instrument lacquer.

attachment.php

This is a warm-up for some future hand micro-engraving/monoblock printing which will find it's way onto the barrels of pens (fun ahead - stay tuned).

Warm regards to all, and happy Wednesday - Bob

Attachments

• CopperBandButterflyFishEngr_Ch_Repoussed1000pxMarkison2018,signed.jpg
    CopperBandButterflyFishEngr_Ch_Repoussed1000pxMarkison2018,signed.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 423
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rick_G

Found one of those that either my brother or I did about 60 years ago while cleaning out my fathers garage a few weeks ago. Not any way near that good though. Will be watching to see what you do on a pen.

TonyL

Beautiful! I have dove with them. I kept them in captivity. O/S work. Please make a list of what you can't do, so that I know you are human :) and I don't throw-out my lathes.

Bob in SF

Many thanks for the kind comments!

Hand engraving is pure joy - purposeful and gentle commitment to line and tone - and no turning back.

Warm regards to all - Bob

Top Bottom