Copper Wildcat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from workinforwood

workinforwood

This is from a blank Ed/Dawn gifted to me. I can't recall what the name ended up being from the contest, but it sure is a cool blank. With some tips from Amos I was able to re-fit the grip section. I also wanted a closed end effect, but to keep the banding that came with the churhill kit, so I turned the final seperate and tapped it <uses same tap as a cigar final>, so if the clip ever broke it can be easily replaced. I ground down the final on the pen section and capped it over as well so that it can also still be removed. I like it, it looks pretty sharp to me.

Attachments

• tiger 001.jpg
    tiger 001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 305
  • tiger 005.jpg
    tiger 005.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 412
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rollerbob

Jeff, liking this blank and you did a neat job of disguising the churchill. Not sure I like the little nipply thing on the finial. But, guess that's why there is chocolate and vanilla ice cream.:)

hewunch

The grip is awesome. The look is great. But to be honest, I am not feeling the bump on the finial. Not real sure why, it just looks out of place to me. All in all, a great pen though. What tap does the finial use if you don't mind me asking.

workinforwood

I'm going of memory Hans..I think it's 7.5x.5 I know the 7mm drill bit makes a perfect hole for the tap. I thought the bead on top of the final gave it some character..but maybe I'm wrong. If a customer wants it but just wants the top round, it's not problem since it just unscrews I can grind that off and re-polish it. You know..now that I think of it, that nipple is mandatory on the top of the pen. It's for people that like to chew!:smile-big:

jleiwig

I was going to say the same thing. Looks like a perfect place for teeth.

I think if you ground it off and repolished it would look 100x better.

JohnU

Great looking pen Jeff. All of your extra work really paid off. I love the blank too. I gotta get one of those.

workinforwood

That blank was pretty nice. It turned similar to PR but it threaded much better than PR. Ed gave me a 3.5" chunk. You have to cut it on an angle to reveal any character, and you do want to paint your tubes. Even by cutting it on an angle a person could easily capture two pens from that chunk. A smaller pen does look better than a larger pen with this material. The orange tubes in the blank are more concentrated in the center than to the outside, thus a smaller pens cut closer to the center have more character. My disappointment in the blank is the sparkles. There are tons of sparkles on one side, which looks real great, but on the other side of the blank there are no sparkles at all and it looks very bland in comparison. I'd give it 4.5 of 5 stars. Definitely something that needs to be in the inventory!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
HEY Jeff!!

The 50mm rod took some creativity to make into a pen. COMING is the bar that will yield two pens. Although I posted this before, here it is again, just for clarity.

Attachments

• tigrisperlanet.jpg
    tigrisperlanet.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 174

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That blank was pretty nice. It turned similar to PR but it threaded much better than PR. Ed gave me a 3.5" chunk. You have to cut it on an angle to reveal any character, and you do want to paint your tubes. Even by cutting it on an angle a person could easily capture two pens from that chunk. A smaller pen does look better than a larger pen with this material. The orange tubes in the blank are more concentrated in the center than to the outside, thus a smaller pens cut closer to the center have more character. My disappointment in the blank is the sparkles. There are tons of sparkles on one side, which looks real great, but on the other side of the blank there are no sparkles at all and it looks very bland in comparison. I'd give it 4.5 of 5 stars. Definitely something that needs to be in the inventory!

I AGREE wholeheartedly!!! We'll see what the production bars look like.

mickr

very nice..new look..excellent technical skill...I just can't get past the finial..maybe it's my bifocals??? my astigmatism acting up?? Grand tho, very grand

THarvey

Great looking pen, Jeff.

I like the nipple effect on the finial. I think it would be nice if you had done a similar feature on the other end of the pen. For some reason I think two would look better than one.

workinforwood

Great looking pen, Jeff.

I like the nipple effect on the finial. I think it would be nice if you had done a similar feature on the other end of the pen. For some reason I think two would look better than one.

I did that Tim, and then it looked Phalic and so I quickly bailed on that one! I'm not even close to being any type of master penmaker. There are certainly people out there that do fit that bill and I would feel very out of place matching myself with them..at this point in time anyhow. Someday perhaps. I do appreciate all the feedback, even the people that don't like the finial..that's ok...heck, I'm not even sure I like it. Bottom line, a pen like this is fun to make because it adds some challenges to the project, but at the same time, they are the types of challenges that any person here could do with very basic equipment. I have to really thank Amos for the inspiration and because he was kind enough to assemble a pile of photo's and email them to me so that I could make the custom grip. Guys like that are why the IAP rocks!

workinforwood

The actual tap size of the cap is 8x.75 It's not 100% perfect with that tap, but it is 98% perfect. At first it's a micro tight and after you screw it on then off, it's smooth as can be.

Ya'll convinced me..I unscrewed the finial and ground it down and re-polished the top. That's part of the greatness of this type of assembly. I always feel like the churchill clips are a week link prone to possible breakage and it's nice to be able to replace it.
The sun is going down, so my brightness and colors are not where they should be anymore.

Attachments

• tiger 008.jpg
    tiger 008.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 127

TurnaPen

WOW!! Jeff, you raised the bar a few inches there! beautiful pen, very well made. Now it is my turn to ask more specifics on the finial!!?. By the way, Ed and Dawn, excuse my ignorance, but who are you?? so I can look at your website! Amos

mickr

like the redesign...I think we all get comfy with "standard" design on these items..if it gets off the rez, we have a hard time with the new idea..I have wondered thru the years why BtoB is the standard..seems that we have vast design opportunities avail to us, and most folks just go B to B....keep opening our design horizons with your concepts...

cnirenberg

Jeff,
Nipple or no nipple, I'm diggin that pen. Thank goodness there is no body part turning challenge, but you did have a great entry.

Rollerbob

Jeff, hope you know I meant no disrespect to the nipply thing. Your work is always reaching for newer a high. This being no exception!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
WOW!! Jeff, you raised the bar a few inches there! beautiful pen, very well made. Now it is my turn to ask more specifics on the finial!!?. By the way, Ed and Dawn, excuse my ignorance, but who are you?? so I can look at your website! Amos

Hi Amos!!!

I am Ed. For the past five years or so, I have offered the IAP members products that I import from Europe. It started with Alternative ivory and the "cats"-patterns offered by GPS in Great Britain -- there is probably a distributor in Australia, too. I offered a "cat" alog and took orders by email.

Well, in December, Dawn (My other half) decided to set up a website www.exoticblanks.com to sell these products more efficiently. She had also been playing with casting polyresin -- particularly snakeskins in clear resin. So, we thought the website would facilitate that, as well.

As the project developed, we decided to invite other IAP "sellers" to list THEIR products on "exotics". So, that is how it has evolved. Take a look. Some of the products are worth sending half way around the world and we DO regularly. But, the GPS products you should be able to locate nearer to you and save the cost of transport!!

Thanks for asking,
Dawn & Ed
www.exoticblanks.com

PR_Princess

Jeff, I like how you fit this to the Churchill. It sure does make for one great looking pen!!
Of the two versions, I think I like the second one a bit better. Besides, your pen is just to pretty to do any teething on! :biggrin::eek:

PR_Princess

By the way, Ed and Dawn, excuse my ignorance, but who are you?? so I can look at your website! Amos

Amos, you may not know who we are, but I know who you are! :biggrin: How could I not, with those worthless wood pens of yours that just stop you in your tracks??? Beautiful.....
BTW, if you stopped by Exotics earlier and got a white screen... it was nothing personal! Really!!!:redface: Please try again!:biggrin:

Last edited:

WoodWizard

The actual tap size of the cap is 8x.75 It's not 100% perfect with that tap, but it is 98% perfect. At first it's a micro tight and after you screw it on then off, it's smooth as can be.

Ya'll convinced me..I unscrewed the finial and ground it down and re-polished the top. That's part of the greatness of this type of assembly. I always feel like the churchill clips are a week link prone to possible breakage and it's nice to be able to replace it.
The sun is going down, so my brightness and colors are not where they should be anymore.
Thats too bad....i like something different....now it looks like a normal pen.:frown:....You should go with what YOU feel looks good..

Top Bottom