Copper Segmenting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Todd in PA

Todd in PA

Copper plated Atrax were on sale for $5 over Christmas. I bought the last 6 they had and came up with this.

The main woods are Cairo walnut and tulipwood. Both have the same black acrylic and Honduran rosewood scallops.

Might make a nice his and hers set for someone at one of my shows.

Thanks for looking.

EDIT: The dividers between the segments are thin copper metal. I'm not sure I made that clear.

IMG_9694.jpeg
IMG_9700.jpeg
IMG_9701.jpeg
IMG_9695.jpeg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Todd in PA

Very attractive set. Copper is starting to become one of my favorite finishes. - Dave
I believe one of your pens with copper won some recognition recently. 😎😎😎

However it is not one of my favorite finishes. There are not a lot if woods that will pair with it. Anything with a hint of orange or yellow is out, IMO. Most acrylic colors are not going to look good with it either. Of the tulipwood I had in hand, half had to much red. It's just not versatile the way chrome and gunmetal platings are.

I wouldn't want to stock up on kits in this finish. But I'm working with the 6 I have. I have two more in the works with a simple double-striped design that are downright sexy! I will post those when completed this weekend.

egnald

I believe one of your pens with copper won some recognition recently. 😎😎😎

However it is not one of my favorite finishes. There are not a lot if woods that will pair with it. Anything with a hint of orange or yellow is out, IMO. Most acrylic colors are not going to look good with it either. Of the tulipwood I had in hand, half had to much red. It's just not versatile the way chrome and gunmetal platings are.

I wouldn't want to stock up on kits in this finish. But I'm working with the 6 I have. I have two more in the works with a simple double-striped design that are downright sexy! I will post those when completed this weekend.
I really liked the Berea satin copper cigar kits but nobody has any in stock and Berea doesn't have any production runs scheduled.

jttheclockman

They came out well. Couple questions being you used various materials. What did you use to adhere the copper strips and the acrylic strips? Also Is that a CA finish. How well does it adhere to both the metals and the acrylics. I am always leery of doing that.

Lmstretch

Beautiful stunning pen! I like the combination of the materials you use, es using two different woods on the scallops.

Todd in PA

They came out well. Couple questions being you used various materials. What did you use to adhere the copper strips and the acrylic strips? Also Is that a CA finish. How well does it adhere to both the metals and the acrylics. I am always leery of doing that.
I'm using SX brand oily glue I got on Amazon. It sticks well enough to hold together through drilling on all the materials I've used so far— wood, aluminum, acrylic, and now copper.

The finish is Gluboost ca. Ultra thin (green x2), then regular (blue x5-10), then thin (red x 3) for a topcoat. I smooth and level the finish with 2400 micromesh, then very quickly run through the pads up to 12,000. I don't spend a lot of time wet sanding because Im going to use buffing wheels to bring out the shine after I re-square, seal the end grain, and slip fit my components. I generally use a tiny dab of 5-min epoxy to secure the components at final assembly, and hope I never have to take anything apart again.

jttheclockman

I'm using SX brand oily glue I got on Amazon. It sticks well enough to hold together through drilling on all the materials I've used so far— wood, aluminum, acrylic, and now copper.

The finish is Gluboost ca. Ultra thin (green x2), then regular (blue x5-10), then thin (red x 3) for a topcoat. I smooth and level the finish with 2400 micromesh, then very quickly run through the pads up to 12,000. I don't spend a lot of time wet sanding because Im going to use buffing wheels to bring out the shine after I re-square, seal the end grain, and slip fit my components. I generally use a tiny dab of 5-min epoxy to secure the components at final assembly, and hope I never have to take anything apart again.
Thanks Todd. Unfortunately you use no products that I use so will just stay with my epoxy glues. I am working on a segmenting group of pens that have scallops in them too and of all cuts I worry about those. It is because of the angle of drilling for the tubes. Will see what happens.

Top Bottom