Copper Kitless Clicker Round Two

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

For this one I soldered the front section after drilling for the Pilot G2 ink cartridge. This let me slim down the front of the pen. It has a slight taper from the middle toward both ends.
hope you like it. The next step is to plate all the hardware Copper.
A00A629B-7EEE-49A4-A28F-F9B987434E3F.jpeg

Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ironwood

Looking good Dan.

I am curious about the patina that the copper will develop. I have made a hundred or so brass cartridge pens, my standard finish is a polish on the buff, and a coat of wax. If used regularly the brass develops a nice patina over time.
I assume the copper would be similar. Come to think of it, the copper bullets I use for nibs don't do too bad also.
Do you give your copper pens a coat of wax or ?
I have tried lacquer and clear powdercoat, also tried clear ceramic coat, was never happy with any of them long term. So I reverted to the basic wax job. My customers don't mind, especially once I explain the reasoning behind it.
I haven't tried anodising yet. Not even sure if brass or copper can be anodised.

More4dan

Looking good Dan.

I am curious about the patina that the copper will develop. I have made a hundred or so brass cartridge pens, my standard finish is a polish on the buff, and a coat of wax. If used regularly the brass develops a nice patina over time.
I assume the copper would be similar. Come to think of it, the copper bullets I use for nibs don't do too bad also.
Do you give your copper pens a coat of wax or ?
I have tried lacquer and clear powdercoat, also tried clear ceramic coat, was never happy with any of them long term. So I reverted to the basic wax job. My customers don't mind, especially once I explain the reasoning behind it.
I haven't tried anodising yet. Not even sure if brass or copper can be anodised.

The copper can be artificially patina'd with Sulfur of Liver. Makes it look like and old penny. I don't want to coat this one, making it for a nurse and copper has a way of killing germs, bacteria, and viruses. It's why I plan to plate the clip and clicker.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

More4dan

That's very nice. What are the dimensions? And do you think it's top heavy?

The length is 5 1/2" long, 0.420" in the center of the body and 0.370" at the clip and nib. Weight is 1.7 oz. (48 grams). The balance point is just forward of the end of the clip, right where the pen hits the hand.

Danny

More4dan

I think you're mad to work with copper. Well done, beautiful pen.

Thanks. I did find using grade C145 copper much easier to work with than standard C110. The machinability for C110 copper is 20 and for C145 it's 85. It has some Tellurium added to make it more easily machined, it's less sticky, so no stuck drill bits. Available through www.onlinemetals.com.

Danny

Last edited:
Top Bottom