Coolibah

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

I finished this one up yesterday after working on it little by little for too long. This is a diamond knurl with the band and finial replaced. I'm really liking those pen kits. The wood was labeled as Red Coolibah, but looks more like Brown Mallee to me. Either way, I'm pretty happy with it overall, though I can certainly nitpick on myself if I want to. Finish is GluBoost, ultra to get into the pores, a few layers of medium, then a couple thin to level it out. The disc is a refrigerator magnet I made with the little bit that was left of the blank.
(Random musing: why is it that fridge is spelled with a G, but refrigerator is not?)

20221125_194114.jpg

20221125_194521.jpg

20221125_194647.jpg

Attachments

• 20221125_194625.jpg
    20221125_194625.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 49
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sorcerertd

That's a beautiful pen. I'm confused however as the information here shows metal threads on the bottom and yours shows plastic. https://www.exoticblanks.com/diamon...-metal.html#product-details-tab-specification
John already linked to the kit, but just to reiterate the threads are black chrome rather than plastic. I'm sure it would look great in all Ti gold as well (maybe better?), but we gotta work with what's available. The diamond Knurls are great kits. I see there is a solid black chrome one now also (and a Cyber Monday sale).

Many of the rollerball kits looks the same. Your touch with the change in centerband and finial makes it stand out more. Nice work.
Thanks John. That was my goal.

sorcerertd

Beautiful pen, and great finish. Can you elaborate on how you did the center band?

This was a previous pen, but I did it the same way.
  1. Turn to round.
  2. Hollow it out to fit on the cap thread insert.
  3. Turn outside to proper diameter.
  4. Apply finish
  5. Part it off VERY carefully

There are other ways, but this has worked well for me a couple times. On this one, the band is not as "flat" as I'd like it to be. Not a deal killer for me, but I need to be more careful next time.

Top Bottom