Coolabah Timber

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

Around fifty years ago in Alice Springs in Central Australia alongside the track to Ayers Rock
I purchased this Aboriginal Coolabah cut from a Coolabah tree (from the bark then decorated by burning with a piece of fencing wire). The Aboriginals call it a Coolibah and use them to carry babies and plants , food etc. I was so taken with this one for sale I brought it back over a thousand miles in a light plane. The Pic Coolibah is 27 inches long by 7 1/2 inches wide by 4 plus inches deep and was made by an Aboriginal woman who sold it to me.

A Poet Banjo Patterson penned the words of a famous (to us Aussies) Walltzing Matilda song with reference to under the shade of a Coolabah Tree. The poem/ song is full of Australianisms
of interest is the Coolibah Tree not unlike the Cottonwoods in the States are associated with a body of water the water over here is essential to periodically flooding the growth area to assist the seed germination by sterilising it in a process.

The word Burl over here is used also as an expression ( I,ll give it a burl) meaning I will give it a try or a go. I will have a go.

Kind regards Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0007-001.jpg
    DSCF0007-001.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 231
  • DSCF0008-001.jpg
    DSCF0008-001.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 185
  • DSCF0015-001.jpg
    DSCF0015-001.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF0023-001.jpg
    DSCF0023-001.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Hi Peter, thats a very interesting piece. Would it normally be hollowed out to carry stuff?
We love 'Native' art too, and one of our rooms at home is completely 'African' :biggrin:
I haven't heard of your poet Patterson before but do remember the song Waltzing Matilda from my youth watching and listening to Rolf Harris on TV. I reckon I still know all the words to 'Tie Me Kangeroo Down Sport' and a several other of those fun songs:biggrin:

Hope you are all well and thanks for sharing !!:)

SDB777

I think I have learned more about Australia from Peter on this forum, then I learned during my entire time in school....and his teachings don't feel like I'm being taught something(hope that made sense).

Very cool item! What will you do with it? Display in your home or something?

Scott (1000miles is a fun trip) B

Top Bottom