Convertible rear window came loose

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Has anyone tried a DIY. I called a few shops.. they can re-attach with no guarantees. However the entire roof has to be replaced. The prices are (for aftermarket to OEM) $2400-$7500. The 2010 Mini itself is worth about $5000 on a trade or $18,000 at an auction with the right buyer.

Attachments

• IMG_2454.jpeg
    IMG_2454.jpeg
    959.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2453.jpeg
    IMG_2453.jpeg
    892.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_4035.jpeg
    IMG_4035.jpeg
    506.6 KB · Views: 50
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Keep the top down and only drive when rain forecast is below 30%. Many times replacement or repair is more than the item itself is worth. Example: cost $100 to repair an $84 camera.

WriteON

Keep the top down and only drive when rain forecast is below 30%. Many times replacement or repair is more than the item itself is worth. Example: cost $100 to repair an $84 camera.
Gotcha... the issue is Florida ...It's sunny and then rains across the street while driving. I have to park in a lot sometimes and need the top up for security and bird doo. Mainly I have skin cancer and cannot take long exposure to the sun. I'm planning to keep the Mini and accept the fact there goes my next round of tool$ and toy$. It's in showroom condition w/12000miles.

Last edited:

hooked

I have a convertible top that had a small leak around the exterior seal of the rear window. I brought it to a detail guy at a local shop, and he took care of it with glue and suction cup clamps. Fortunately, it worked for me. Your top looks worse than mine did, but it might be worth talking to a detail shop.

Last year, I replaced the hydraulic system for the top, and it cost almost as much as the blue book on the car. Like yours, my car is still in showroom condition and has 22k miles for a 16-year-old car, so I went through the repairs.

WriteON

My go-to source for stuff like this is YouTube. Here is a link to a video from someone with what looks like the same issue:

Good video ...I searched and did not see that. I'm giving it some thought. I can do that... We're pen turners...we fix things👍... thanks for posting. That Mini's roof is beat up pretty good. Mine has been garaged since buying.. has plenty of life left.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Gotcha... the issue is Florida ...It's sunny and then rains across the street while driving. I have to park in a lot sometimes and need the top up for security and bird doo. Mainly I have skin cancer and cannot take long exposure to the sun. I'm planning to keep the Mini and accept the fact there goes my next round of tool$ and toy$. It's in showroom condition w/12000miles.
Hmmm. Hang on to it. I do see your need for sun protection. My son has the same issue.
Ragtops only offer security from birds. A sharp knife offers quick entry. Traveled the Key West highway...run into rain for a mile and out again. See gray rain clouds in the Atlantic or Gulf.

wouldentu2?

Reading this tells me this is the best way to go, no brainer.

WriteON

How is this seamless repair. I think it might look good in the dark or from 1000ft. Comments?

Attachments

• IMG_2489.jpeg
    IMG_2489.jpeg
    380.6 KB · Views: 30

WriteON

Never use Invisible Glass on car windows... It literally works too good. Anyway I'm waiting for a return call (Quote) from Monday. The man is busy. He comes recommended. Sounded knowledgeable... Worth waiting for I guess.

Attachments

• IMG_2494.jpeg
    IMG_2494.jpeg
    652.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2493.jpeg
    IMG_2493.jpeg
    464.3 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom