Contests vs prizes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
While I realize I occupy no official position on the bash planning, for several years I made sure everyone got the prize that they had "won". Over the years this grew, up to the point where nearly 200 prizes were awarded (that was last year, I was NOT the one doing it).

I often thought we gave away great stuff to people who were "insufficiently grateful". There were guys winning 6 and 7 prizes, a few won total value over $500. That is a reward for doing nothing particularly great.

TO ME, it makes sense to run the trivia every day. There were over 100 participants each day. Have the chairman check the answers--each person who is correct gets a point. At the end of the month, he who has the most points wins!! Then you need a first, second and third place prize--THREE, as opposed to 58!! This encourages daily participation. Awarding a daily prize with "you can only win once" DIScourages participation!! As a side benefit, it reduces the work for the "prize awarder" who makes sure the donors actually SHIP their prizes (and saves over $300 in postage)

For the "Major" contests, it would be good if the "top prize" value is reduced. Then, maybe we can go back to showing the pens when they are submitted. This gives the rest of the membership a REASON to look at IAP every day. Now, the bash will be "boring" for the first two weeks, until the pictures of pens (remember, SOYP is still the major forum--people come here to SEE pens) start to be "unveiled".

So, those are my observations---remember they are worth every penny you paid for them!! (and, maybe nothing more!!)

Ed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
It really disappoints me that people win prizes and never say a word to the donor. I make it crystal clear where prizes come from (for the donation drawing at least), and I have heard on many occasions that the donor never heard a peep from the recipient. In fact last year one of the recipients of a prize donated by IAP asked me only why he hadn't received it yet (after 48 hours!!), but never acknowledged when it did arrive.

I like the point idea for the trivia contest.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
I had to contact the person I sent the Cactus Juice setup to last year to make sure they received it. I waited over a week AFTER tracking info showed it delivered before doing so.

Cmiles1985

I like that idea Ed. I have seen several events where there just seems to be no sense of appreciation. I was utterly amazed at how many prizes went out last year, being tha I had only been a member for a few months. I thought it great to have some follow up interaction with the sender of my trivia prizes (firewhatfire), and was very appreciative of the gift certificate to Classic Nib for the wood ID contest (appreciative enough that I still remember what was what almost a year later!). The idea of a change up should negate some of the complacency that seems to have come with last year's trivia. I know I personally looked at the contest each day, but couldn't enter once I won...

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I really like all of those ideas.

Considering the months of work involved to get the prizes, and the fact that many vendors get nothing out of it (KMS tools doesn't advertise here, and likely gets no business from the IAP, but has donated a chuck every year that I've been involved). one would think that the winners would be able to send a quick thank you. It would certainly make the job of finding prizes easier the next year as well.

I think that's a perfect solution for the trivia, Ed, and would encourage more participation!

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My only problem with the point approach for winning prize contests like trivia, puzzle, wood ID, etc is that it skews the contest to those who are able to participate in them every day that the contest runs which is just not possible for everyone. That's why I prefer a combination of the two approaches -- a random drawing of all correct entries on a daily basis for a small prize plus larger prize(s) awarded at the end of the contest. Of course that depends on the number of days the contests are run and the number of prizes available.

I can especially understand a vendor being discouraged when a donation is not acknowledged, but from a personal standpoint, I don't make any donations or gifts (here or anywhere else) with an expectation of receiving an expression of gratitude from the recipient (although it is nice when that happens). I donated a total of 6 boxes last year - all of which I believe were worth well in excess of their stated value. Three winners acknowledged their prize publicly & by PM, two by PM only and one never mentioned anything.

Personally, considering human nature, I think that was pretty good though. I send off boxes of blanks to new turners fairly often - some are very appreciative & send feedback on how they use them. Some barely acknowledge that they received the package.

We should certainly make all reasonable efforts to encourage recipients to acknowledge their donors, but in any large group there are always going to be a certain percentage of "takers". That's unfortunate, but it's not likely to change.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
And sometimes life just gets in the way too. The person who got my donation last year is a member of this committee evidently and saw my post. He immediately PMd me apologizing and explaining things. I now see it from a different perspective! All is well!

Top Bottom