Contest Prize Count REQUESTS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Another option instead of the plaques, totally free, and still helps achieve bragging rights, is to give a banner beside their name on the IAP for a few months (like the 'assistant moderator' badge I have) - up to Jeff, of course, but it would achieve the same thing and cost nothing.
Why can't we do this in addition to anything else. But why make it temporary? Once you win a contest like the freestyle or Russ contest, shouldn't that be allowed to follow you around for the time you are here? Great Idea!!!!! Lets ask Jeff about it.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Another option instead of the plaques, totally free, and still helps achieve bragging rights, is to give a banner beside their name on the IAP for a few months (like the 'assistant moderator' badge I have) - up to Jeff, of course, but it would achieve the same thing and cost nothing.
Why can't we do this in addition to anything else. But why make it temporary? Once you win a contest like the freestyle or Russ contest, shouldn't that be allowed to follow you around for the time you are here? Great Idea!!!!! Lets ask Jeff about it.
Was this idea more complicated than it seems, or did we not ask Jeff about it? I thought Andrew had a great idea with this but if the group thinks it is not worth it I can deal with that.

PR_Princess

Landon, not to be a party pooper, but can't the winners add a notation like that in their signature line themselves? Then the winners can say what they want, and put up or take down the note at any time - lol probably much easier to admin too!

If that's OK with everyone, might be a good thing to suggest/promote/encourage right in the contest rules...:cool:

Last edited:

Brooks803

That's true Dawn, but I kinda like Andrew's idea (Landon, I checked who said it first bc I almost gave YOU credit this time :tongue:). Reason being is that yes the winner can put it in themselves, but so can ANYONE else. Now I doubt someone will lie and say that they won the freestyle contest when they didn't even enter, but if it's under the avatar or username then there is no denying that they in fact were the winner. Just my opinion :biggrin:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Landon, not to be a party pooper, but can't the winners add a notation like that in their signature line themselves? Then the winners can say what they want, and put up or take down the note at any time - lol probably much easier to admin too!

If that's OK with everyone, might be a good thing to suggest/promote/encourage right in the contest rules...:cool:

Yes they can do that, and some have done so. That being said, answer this for me.

If you give yourself a trophy for winning a contest and the person running the contest gives you a trophy, which would mean more to you to tell your friends, kids, grand kids, etc. about.

I can't imagine the code to put that title in is MUCH trouble at all for the admin (Jeff) to put in.

That's true Dawn, but I kinda like Andrew's idea (Landon, I checked who said it first bc I almost gave YOU credit this time :tongue:). Reason being is that yes the winner can put it in themselves, but so can ANYONE else. Now I doubt someone will lie and say that they won the freestyle contest when they didn't even enter, but if it's under the avatar or username then there is no denying that they in fact were the winner. Just my opinion :biggrin:
I made a point of quoting Andrew so not to confuse where the idea came from.:wink:

I had not even thought of someone claiming it that did not win but that also is a good point. It would be sad to see but you never know.:frown:

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I had not even thought of someone claiming it that did not win but that also is a good point. It would be sad to see but you never know.:frown:

Just think of the "bad press" you would get if some other member "caught it" and made a stink about it. Particularly if you said "2012 Open pen winner" and you were noticed by the REAL 2012 Open pen winner!! I can't conceive of someone being stupid enough to try it.

But there have been times I have been amazed at the stupidity some people CAN exhibit!!! So I suppose we can't rule it out!!

PR_Princess

Yes they can do that, and some have done so. That being said, answer this for me.

If you give yourself a trophy for winning a contest and the person running the contest gives you a trophy, which would mean more to you to tell your friends, kids, grand kids, etc. about.

I can't imagine the code to put that title in is MUCH trouble at all for the admin (Jeff) to put in.

Landon, I was envisioning a way to really be outlandish and brag. Some members can be quite creative! Perhaps this could even become a type of fun game within itself...

As far as how difficult the here coding goes, I really have no clue. But using Mike B plaque list, that is an automatic 15 or so names. To put up - and take down. If you figure in some of contests that have more than one winner, and maybe want to add in the contests that were left off the plaque list ( what about 2nd and third places?) I can see the number of names to keep track of ballooning up in a hurry.

Either way, no big deal to me. Just a thought I threw out there.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

Landon, I was envisioning a way to really be outlandish and brag. Some members can be quite creative! Perhaps this could even become a type of fun game within itself...

As far as how difficult the here coding goes, I really have no clue. But using Mike B plaque list, that is an automatic 15 or so names. To put up - and take down. If you figure in some of contests that have more than one winner, and maybe want to add in the contests that were left off the plaque list ( what about 2nd and third places?) I can see the number of names to keep track of ballooning up in a hurry.

Either way, no big deal to me. Just a thought I threw out there.
:wink:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
OK..................

Are we in agreement, or at least is there a majority consensus, that the 1st place winners of the Casting Contest, the Article Contest and all contests that involve making pens except for the Ugly Pen Contest will get plaques. 2nd place, and in some cases 3rd place will get certificates.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
OK..................

Are we in agreement, or at least is there a majority consensus, that the 1st place winners of the Casting Contest, the Article Contest and all contests that involve making pens except for the Ugly Pen Contest will get plaques. 2nd place, and in some cases 3rd place will get certificates.
Sounds good but I think the Ugly contest deserves an UGLY plaque.(how many categories are there in this?)

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Sounds fine - the ugly contest plaque can be a piece of cardboard written on with a sharpie! :)

As well, pursuant to our discussion about signatures etc., there's an option to have tshirts printed for the winners of the contests - i.e. IAP tshirt with 'winner of freestyle contest' iconography....any objections?
Shirts would be another cool alternative if the cost were good.

To Scott-----------How many Ugly categories are there? I was going to see about making some simple, appropriate "plaques" for the winners but I would need to know how many.

mbroberg

Shirts would be another cool alternative if the cost were good.

The cost would be $00.00 per shirt, so I think it is doable.:biggrin:

Edit in: If no objections I will ask mredburn to work with witz1976 (the shirt donor) and the contest chairs on this.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
First question have we finalized a general design for the shirts? I take it you will want your winners category on the shirts to distinguish the different winners. Right now I have 9 first place shirts.
3- Landon
3-Brooks
1-Scott
1-Eric
1-Ben
These are the actual casting/ turning events.

Scott

I have three categories in the Ugly Pen contest. That would be three first places. But I pick three winners for each category, so that's a total of nine prizes. Now, I didn't say they had to be great prizes!

Scott.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
First question have we finalized a general design for the shirts? I take it you will want your winners category on the shirts to distinguish the different winners. Right now I have 11 first place shirts.
3- Landon
3-Brooks
3-Scott
1-Eric
1-Ben

updated

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Dan is just STARTING his shirt business.

AND a prize is more "highly prized" when there are fewer given.

Maybe we should limit the shirts to 4-5, unless we want to purchase additional????

Has Dan given you any direction toward what he thought he would donate, Mike?

Sounds like contest winners are going to get "quite a haul"---is that a precedent we want to establish?

Just trying to keep things in perspective.
Ed

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have not had contact with him as of this moment, the request is out there. I was wondering if there had been prior arrangements made.

mbroberg

Dan and I had discussed T-Shirts for the 1st place winners of the contests. Nothing concrete was agreed upon. Dan was provided a list of the contests and the contest chairs.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have the following for prize structure for the contests.

Pen Making

Beginners Beautiful Pen Contest -Landon
1st 2nd 3rd
Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest -Landon
1st 2bd 3rd
3rd
Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest (FREESTYLE) -Landon
1st 2n 3rd 4th Random voter prize

Modified pen -Eric
1st 2nd 3rd

Russ Fairfield Slim - Ben
1st 2nd 3rd

Ugly Pen Contest -Scott
3 catagories 1st 2nd 3rd

Casting - Jonathan
3 catagories 1st 2nd 3rd

Photo contest - Curtis
3 catagories 1st 2nd 3rd

Crossword-Landon/Curtis
3 prizes

Trivia -Chris
29 Prizes

Match the shop -Jon
3 Prizes

Featured Pen -Mike
1 prize
Featured article -Tom
1 prize

If I have the wrong number or catagories, or places let me know Immediatly Please! This list does not include Plaques, certificates or T-shirts.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have the following for prize structure for the contests.

Pen Making

Beginners Beautiful Pen Contest -Landon
1st 2nd 3rd
Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest -Landon
1st 2bd 3rd
3rd
Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest (FREESTYLE) -Landon
1st 2n 3rd 4th and Random voter prize

Modified pen -Eric
1st 2nd 3rd

Russ Fairfield Slim - Ben
1st 2nd 3rd

Ugly Pen Contest -Scott
3 catagories 1st 2nd 3rd

Casting - Jonathan
3 catagories 1st 2nd 3rd

Photo contest - Curtis
3 catagories 1st 2nd 3rd

Crossword-Landon/Curtis
3 prizes

Trivia -Chris
29 Prizes

Match the shop -Jon
3 Prizes

Featured Pen -Mike
3 prizes
Featured article -Tom
1 prize

If I have the wrong number or catagories, or places let me know Immediatly Please! This list does not include Plaques, certificates or T-shirts.

updated Sat 28th 11:06am

Top Bottom