Contest Prize Count REQUESTS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Without knowing the what, how many and from who at this point, I thought it might be nice to get a count on what would LIKE to be awarded for each contest.

Last year I believe we awarded Plaques for the winners of each "major" contest as well as a prize. Is that the plan this year?

My prize requests are as follows:

Beginners Beautiful Pen Contest
1st
2nd
3rd
Intermediate Beautiful Pen Contest
1st
2nd
3rd
Advanced Beautiful Pen Contest (FREESTYLE)
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
Random voter prize--I will supply this one, as I have in the past

I can also provide the 4th place prize if need be due to "prize count limitations"

I plan to do 2 Crossword Puzzle contests this year. I think 1 prize for each is probably enough for those and they need not be quite as significant of a prize as the pen contest ones.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
For the past two years, I have "allocated" the prizes.

Here is the method I have used:
1) Line up all the prizes we know we have in Dollar Value--descending order (biggest is first)
2) Eliminate the prizes that will go to the Donation Drawing (if a company like Berea give us TWO $100 prizes, as they did last year--1 goes to Donation Drawing, ONE goes to contests)
3) Line up the contests (except Russ Fairfield) in order of difficulty and relevance. (THIS is where subjectivity comes in and I have asked MikeB if we should "vote" on the placement of contests to avoid any appearance of my "favorites".
4) Match the number 1 prize to the number one contest, and so forth down the scale.
(Realize this means the "most prestigious contest" will get the first prize, but every OTHER contest will get one prize before the SECOND prize for the #1 contest. So, if we end up with 8 contests and 8 prizes in the $50-$100 category---after removing the prizes for the donation drawing--- the second prize in the #1 contest COULD be worth less than $50)

THAT is the way it WAS!!!! I am VERY open to different ways of allocating and, because of my affiliation with Exotics I expect to be accused of favoritism, I am perfectly willing to have someone else do this.

I do NOT see allocation and distribution as one entity. I have assured Mike that I will be THRILLED to continue to distribute the prizes---this is NOT subjective---the prize is announced, the winner is announced and we get that prize to that winner=no choices!! And I will continue to do the Trivia prizes daily---this gives us the ability to award prizes that come in during February. People decide they would like to donate, and the contests already HAVE prizes, so this "random drawing" method allows us to add the Feb donations, which makes everybody happier!!

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
For the past two years, I have "allocated" the prizes.

Here is the method I have used:
1) Line up all the prizes we know we have in Dollar Value--descending order (biggest is first)
2) Eliminate the prizes that will go to the Donation Drawing (if a company like Berea give us TWO $100 prizes, as they did last year--1 goes to Donation Drawing, ONE goes to contests)
3) Line up the contests (except Russ Fairfield) in order of difficulty and relevance. (THIS is where subjectivity comes in and I have asked MikeB if we should "vote" on the placement of contests to avoid any appearance of my "favorites".
4) Match the number 1 prize to the number one contest, and so forth down the scale.
(Realize this means the "most prestigious contest" will get the first prize, but every OTHER contest will get one prize before the SECOND prize for the #1 contest. So, if we end up with 8 contests and 8 prizes in the $50-$100 category---after removing the prizes for the donation drawing--- the second prize in the #1 contest COULD be worth less than $50)

THAT is the way it WAS!!!! I am VERY open to different ways of allocating and, because of my affiliation with Exotics I expect to be accused of favoritism, I am perfectly willing to have someone else do this.
I was just putting this out there, as long as you give me the best prizes I will not accuse you of anything.:wink::tongue::tongue::tongue:

I doubt getting into a "vote" would be all that productive, it might be easier to just continue to blame you ED.:eek::eek::biggrin:

Last edited:

Phunky_2003

I tried that. Wife just yelled at me about drinking the last cup of coffee. I blamed Ed....

Her response.. "You're grounded from exotics until I get the truth"

I owned up..

Phunky_2003

Last year we gave out 2 prizes each day so that would be 58. I was going to wait a bit to see if we had enough for 2 again this year.

GoodTurns

I'll take what I can get! Would LIKE one "good" prize and a 2nd prize. If there are leftovers, i would like a "random" for the folks who have sumbitted pictures.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Last year we gave out 2 prizes each day so that would be 58. I was going to wait a bit to see if we had enough for 2 again this year.

Thanks, that is a very considerate way to look at it. However, we rarely start with 50+, they "develop" during the bash.

Our goal is to give away everything people WANT to give. That was what started the "losers" lottery.

Pretty likely it will happen again.

We hope.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Who should get plaques?

In my totally subjective opinion plaques should be awarded as follows:

Tier I

The Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest 1st, 2nd, 3rd
Tier II
Beautiful Pen Contest: 1st, 2nd
Beginner Pen Contest:1st, 2nd
Freestyle Pen Contest: 1st, 2nd
Modified Pen Contest:1st, 2nd
Casting Contest: 1st, 2nd
Tier III

Featured Pen: 1st
Best Article: 1st
Tier IV

Photo Contest: No Plaque
Ugly Pen Contest: No Plaque
Match the Shop: No Plaque
Tier V

Crossword Puzzle
Daily Trivia

The Donation Drawing need not be considered for this discussion.

The plaques would be in addition to the prize package.

I've divided the contests into "Tiers" I suggest the Tiers be used to determine a corresponding dollar amount of the prize to be awarded.

For example:
Tier I: $300
Tier II: $200 - $299
Tier III: $100 - $199
Tier IV: $50 - $99
Tier V: $25 - $49

Adjustments can be made to the values once we have a better idea of what we will have to offer.

Let's discuss. All discussion of this topic will take place in this thread. If I receive a PM concerning the ordering of contests or allocation of prizes it will probably go unanswered and be ignored. Anyone who wants to make a case for contest placement and prize allocation should present the reasoning to the group for discussion. Ultimately, in areas where there is not agreement, I will decide.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Just my initial thoughts:
I don't like the valuation of the tiers you used as an example - you're not going to get 200 or 300 dollar prizes, I'll guarantee...

And I don't think that a contest like the beginner pen contest really belongs in the higher tiers either...

Phunky_2003

My thoughts.

Tier I

Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest (Top 3 get plaques)
Freestyle Pen Contest (Top 3 get plaques)

Tier II

Modified Pen Contest (Top 2 get plaques)
Beautiful Pen Contest (Top 2 get plaques)
Casting Contest (depending on number of categories if top 2 get plaques this could be up to 6 plaques -- 3 categories?)

Tier III

Beginner Pen Contest (Top 2 get plaques)
Ugly Pen Contest ( 1st gets plaque -- who wouldn't want a plaque for an ugly pen)
Featured Pen (1st place)
Best Article (1st place)

Tier IV

Photo Contest
Match The Shop
Crossword Puzzle
Daily Trivia

Brooks803

I'm wanting to do 3 categories, but I don't think all need to get plaques. Maybe have the judges pick the best of the 3 first place winners and that person would get a plaque. As far as breakdowns go, with 3 categories that'd be 9 prizes IF you did a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place per category. This is my first contest so I'm not sure how many places there should be. Maybe do nice prizes to the 1st place finishers and the best of them would get a plaque? I'm open to suggestions/help.

Phunky_2003

I wasn't sure about the number of plaques for the casting contest either. May be hard to choose just one out of the top 3, maybe just first place in each category?

I was also going to suggest maybe include a category for new casting ideas... Get some of these folks to start thinking about new ideas for casting... I'd like to see some new ideas for casting.. I tried something new in the casting category for the Best of IAP Contest.

Also for prizes maybe we could get Charlie and Fred ( I think it's Fred) to donate some molds.

PR_Princess

So far I am counting roughly somewhere around 15-16 plaques. This would be over and above the prize won.

Mike, do we know what the cost of these plaques would be yet?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Last year, the plaques were "letter size"--8.5" x 11" ish.

A small flat rate box is 6 x 9 ish. The plaques don't fold well.

Possibly they can go in a padded envelope?? Then be mailed first class---but they won't go in a priority small flat rate ($5) box. Medium flat rate is $10, there ARE regional boxes that would fit and may be $6 ish.

But, this is a cost that we should anticipate as accurately as possible.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PERHAPS another option to investigate: IAP could purchase ribbons for second place and third place (used for several years, if imprinted with just "IAP Birthday Bash").

bensoelberg

My plaque last year came in a padded envelope which is 9.5x12.5 and ships for $4.95 to the US. That takes some of the cost down, but not enough to justify 15 plaques. I don't know if the price per plaque would go down if we used a smaller plaque, but that is something that I can look into. I figure the full 8.5x11 plaque for the first place winner and maybe half sized plaques for 2nd and 3rd?

Other options that I have thought of are doing the ribbon or medal, or perhaps Charlie could make an acrylic pen stand where the winner could display their pen that would have the winner's name, contest and place engraved along the bottom. I attached a rough drawing of what I had in mind. I don't know if that would be cheaper or not, but let me know if it is something that you would like me to discuss with Charlie.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
The size of the plaque doesn't matter - nor does how fancy it looks or the material...

People enter the penmaking contests for bragging rights.

I'd suggest perhaps a small plaque for first, and none for second or third. I really like Ed's ribbon idea for second place...

Another option instead of the plaques, totally free, and still helps achieve bragging rights, is to give a banner beside their name on the IAP for a few months (like the 'assistant moderator' badge I have) - up to Jeff, of course, but it would achieve the same thing and cost nothing.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Would a plain nicely finished plaque with the engraving done directly to the wood not be just as nice and cheaper than the brass plates? I don't think they need to be overly fancy to still have the same meaning to the winner. I agree with plaques really need only to go to the winners and something like the ribbons or maybe just a framed certificate for the other places. I bet we could get the certs printed somewhere, and the frames can be made or bought fairly inexpensively I'm sure. I also think there need only be 6-8 plaques, for the 5 pen contests and the casting contest winners, maybe 1-3 for the Russ Fairfield contest. I think the Ugly pen contest should get an ugly plaque as well. I'll bet everyone has enough scrap would and deck screws to build that one.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If you want to entertain the idea of the "Certificate, suitable for framing" (a concept we used OFTEN in Jaycees), I am certainly able to create those on one of the color printers that are attached to my computer---I know where to get appropriate "paper" (which is really cotton based) and make them look "spiffy". This would all be available at that "ever-attractive price"---FREE!

Some notice required so I can get stock.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
If you want to entertain the idea of the "Certificate, suitable for framing" (a concept we used OFTEN in Jaycees), I am certainly able to create those on one of the color printers that are attached to my computer---I know where to get appropriate "paper" (which is really cotton based) and make them look "spiffy". This would all be available at that "ever-attractive price"---FREE!

Especially well suited idea for say..........2nd and 3rd type finishing positions.:wink:

Maybe even for a few of the 1st place spots if they were to be "spiffy" enough.

I still think the ugly pen contest deserves an appropriately ugly trophy. I suspect one of those could be "spiffed" as well.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well Landon,

Twenty years ago, it was "copier guy magic"!!!

Now that everyone has a color inkjet printer, it's a little harder to impress them.
But, it does show they won "bragging rights"!!

And, it gives us an interlude of smaller prizes for the eighth and ninth, so we can "wow" the membership on the tenth (by then, Andrew's house deal may be closed!!):biggrin::biggrin::confused::confused:

mbroberg

I HATE it when that happens.

I had a rather lengthy post made that contained quotes from above. I had several IAP pages open at the same time and was flipping back and forth to keep my facts straight as I typed the post. Then, by mistake, I closed the post without sending it.

So, the short version is:

I'm OK with certificates for 2nd & 3rd place.

My ranking of the contests attempted to put more emphasis on actual pen turning and education. some of the other contests are a great deal of fun but I just don't think they are on the same level as the more "serious" pen making contests. I'll explain more tomorrow

mbroberg

I don't like the valuation of the tiers you used as an example - you're not going to get 200 or 300 dollar prizes, I'll guarantee...

Those valuations are for example only. Once we know what type of prizes we have we can mae more reasonable groupings.

And I don't think that a contest like the beginner pen contest really belongs in the higher tiers either...

I think that a beginner who puts 100% effort into a winning pen is worthy of a top tier prize. DISCUSSION?

Perhaps move best article up a tier to encourage people to write articles?

I don't have a problem with that. My thought was that articles and featured pens are on par with each other. Neither is originally submitted for the purpose of winning a prize. The photos of pens are submitted to show the membership what was made. Articles are submitted to instruct the membership in some way. WE turned it into a contest. That is why I placed them where I did. DISCUSSION?

My thoughts.

Tier I

What is your reasoning for placing the Freestyle contest above Modified and Beautiful? I placed the Russ contest on top because I would like it to be considered the "Premiere" contest of the BASH. I placed the other pen making contests together in the next higher tier because pen making is what we do. Casting also takes a special talent, so I included it as well. DISCUSSION?

Tier II

Casting Contest (depending on number of categories if top 2 get plaques this could be up to 6 plaques -- 3 categories?)

Tier III

Ugly Pen Contest ( 1st gets plaque -- who wouldn't want a plaque for an ugly pen)
Featured Pen (1st place)
Best Article (1st place)

My thoughts on much of this are above. I've already shared my thoughts o the Beginner contest and the Featured Pen and Article contest. The Ugly Pen Contest is a fun contest that I personally enjoy watching. But it is NOT a serious pen making contest and does not, IMHO, deserve to be included at the same level as a serious pen making contest.

Tier IV

Photo Contest
Match The Shop
Crossword Puzzle
Daily Trivia

I don't have any heartburn on this. I grouped them as a matter of practically. There will only be 1-3 winners of the Photo and Match the Shop contest. The others will have more so the prizes cannot be as great.

PERHAPS another option to investigate: IAP could purchase ribbons for second place and third place (used for several years, if imprinted with just "IAP Birthday Bash").

I like that idea!

I like this idea too!

Any and all input is appreciated.

Brooks803

I really like Ed's idea of framable Certificates in place of "lower" level plaques. That'll save money and will look just as nice IMO. I also think the beginners pen contest should have an equal prize as the other pen making contests. I remember my wife winning it 2yrs ago and the prize was awesome. That was matching Cambridge RB & FP kits. About a $70-80 value IF I remember correctly. For my casting contest I'd like to do 3 categories. Each first place could have a nice prize, maybe a certificate, and have an overall winner that could get a plaque.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I really like Ed's idea of framable Certificates in place of "lower" level plaques. That'll save money and will look just as nice IMO. I also think the beginners pen contest should have an equal prize as the other pen making contests. I remember my wife winning it 2yrs ago and the prize was awesome. That was matching Cambridge RB & FP kits. About a $70-80 value IF I remember correctly. For my casting contest I'd like to do 3 categories. Each first place could have a nice prize, maybe a certificate, and have an overall winner that could get a plaque.

Would a plain nicely finished plaque with the engraving done directly to the wood not be just as nice and cheaper than the brass plates? I don't think they need to be overly fancy to still have the same meaning to the winner. I agree with plaques really need only to go to the winners and something like the ribbons or maybe just a framed certificate for the other places. I bet we could get the certs printed somewhere, and the frames can be made or bought fairly inexpensively I'm sure. I also think there need only be 6-8 plaques, for the 5 pen contests and the casting contest winners, maybe 1-3 for the Russ Fairfield contest. I think the Ugly pen contest should get an ugly plaque as well. I'll bet everyone has enough scrap would and deck screws to build that one.
Hey now Mr. Brooks. :eek: How did this idea all in the sudden become an ED idea?:wink:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Last year we had Russ Fairfield DVD's for the awards. (For the Russ Fairfield contest)

Might we be able to purchase some for that purpose, Jeff?

Not only are they a very suitable prize, the proceeds go to help his family--certainly a worthy cause and in line with the spirit of the contest.

Phunky_2003

Those valuations are for example only. Once we know what type of prizes we have we can mae more reasonable groupings.

I think that a beginner who puts 100% effort into a winning pen is worthy of a top tier prize. DISCUSSION?

My thoughts.

Tier I

What is your reasoning for placing the Freestyle contest above Modified and Beautiful? I placed the Russ contest on top because I would like it to be considered the "Premiere" contest of the BASH. I placed the other pen making contests together in the next higher tier because pen making is what we do. Casting also takes a special talent, so I included it as well. DISCUSSION?

I placed the freestyle above the other contests for the way they have been ran the last 2 years. With the winner possibly donating the winning entry to the IAP, it should be held at least as same status as any other contest. For the last 2 years this WAS the contest, or at least thats the way I percieved it. The prizes for it have been previously the best pen contest prizes. I have yet to see the rules for the contest so I dont know if it is going to have same status as years past. And it has had the most support (entries) from higher end pen crowd? Dunno if my wording is correct for that.... Again those are my thoughts, and just the way I look at it.

Tier II

Tier III

Featured Pen (1st place)
Best Article (1st place)

My thoughts on much of this are above. I've already shared my thoughts o the Beginner contest and the Featured Pen and Article contest. The Ugly Pen Contest is a fun contest that I personally enjoy watching. But it is NOT a serious pen making contest and does not, IMHO, deserve to be included at the same level as a serious pen making contest.

I consider the Beginner Pen Contest a serious contest. However, I dont think it is in the same category as other contests. Reason being, it is limited on how long you've been turning pens. I agree it should have nice prizes, but those nice prizes should also coorelate with the contest.

(For example - First place prize for beginner contest in my opinion would not include hand cast sterling silver fountain pen hardware. Which was 2nd place prize in last years freestyle contest.

Tier IV

Photo Contest
Match The Shop
Crossword Puzzle
Daily Trivia

I don't have any heartburn on this. I grouped them as a matter of practically. There will only be 1-3 winners of the Photo and Match the Shop contest. The others will have more so the prizes cannot be as great.

I deleted the 5th Tier to me these should be grouped together based on what Ive seen before in these. I won a Paul Huffman vice the day I won trivia 2 years ago. So some of the trivia prizes do reach the level of others.

I also like the idea of the plaques for first, and certificates for other places.

Top Bottom