Contest for the Turning Challenged

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

This contest is for those who are just starting out turning pens as well as those of who have been doing it for a while, but just haven't mastered it yet. Here is a quick self assessment to determine if this contest if for you.
If I say "How is the Fit and Finish?" and your response is " Better than the Fat and Norwegian".

You're not quite sure what "outgassing" is, but you pretty sure it involves refried beans.

You wonder why California is the only state that gets a finished named after it.

The only reason you use a skew is to keep up on the latest swear words.

You've glued any part of your body to either yourself or anything in your shop in the last month.

If you answer yes to any of these questions, this is your contest. So now that you have determined that this is indeed the contest for you. Here are the guidelines:
1. A Slimline or variant must be used for this contest. Basically if it has a 7mm tubes, a twist 7mm tranny, and two equal length tubes, it's eligible. This includes Creekline, Saturn, Funline, Streamline, and Trimline kits.

2. You may do no alterations to the kit. (No custom centerbands, No closed ends, No hidden clips)

3. To keep the playing field level.....
Wood Lathe - Yes
Metal Lathe - No
Ornamental Lathe - No
Rose Engine Lathe - No
CNC - Oh H#ll No

4. Blanks for this contest must be:
  • Commercially available
  • Made by you from raw materials, where the work by you represents the majority of the work required to create the blank.
5. The pen cannot have been or be shown in any public forum (truck stop bathrooms included) before the contest is completed.

6. The deadline: 11:59 pm God's Time ( also known as Mountain Time) Sun, Feb. 21.

7. To enter use this entry form. Photos must be sized 800 x 600.

8. Pens will be voted upon by IAP membership. The criteria should be considered in both the making of the pen and voting should be:
  • WOW factor
  • Fit and Finish
  • Creativity
  • Difficulty
So there it is. Have some fun, talk a little trash, and make some pens.

Questions? Post them below or if you prefer PM me.​

While being from either Utah or Florida are strong indicators that this contest is for you, they aren't absolute, so please use the criteria at the beginning of this post to determine eligibility.​

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

endacoz

I would suggest the answer is yes, as long as it fits the rules. from my observations, one person can enter multiple contests, just not using the same pen for each one. Once a pen is entered then it can't be entered again.

Then, just make sure all the rules are followed. If he is selling $100+ pens this might not be the place for him to enter. If he is like me and not really selling any pens... then this is the place for us.

D.Oliver

Is this contest open to kids under 13? If they do different pens for each contest?

Great question. The short answer is "Yes".

Now for my philosophical view on the matter. If you are trying to decide between doing this contest or one of the youth contest I would prefer you do the youth contest, simply because I feel those contest are more inviting and less intimidating for young turners. As such I would rather have the participation in the youth contest to ensure that it continues to stay in the Bash line up for many more years. Now if you have a youth that wants to do both, then by all means they are welcome to join this contest also. Note that in this contest all work must be done by the person entering the contest. They cannot be assisted by an adult.

stonepecker

THANK YOU DEREK.........

And after the Youth contest, the turning challenged contest, the puzzle contest, they might even feel good enough to try their hand at the slim line contest.

I know that the person running that contest has the best "LOOKING" avatar here.

edicehouse

Is this contest open to kids under 13? If they do different pens for each contest?

Great question. The short answer is "Yes".

Now for my philosophical view on the matter. If you are trying to decide between doing this contest or one of the youth contest I would prefer you do the youth contest, simply because I feel those contest are more inviting and less intimidating for young turners. As such I would rather have the participation in the youth contest to ensure that it continues to stay in the Bash line up for many more years. Now if you have a youth that wants to do both, then by all means they are welcome to join this contest also. Note that in this contest all work must be done by the person entering the contest. They cannot be assisted by an adult.

That "cannot be assisted by an adult" makes the decision easy. Now we just need a couple days of nice weather.

D.Oliver

Folks I have either sent a pm or an email to all the people I have received entries from. As of yet the entries are pretty scarce, so the odds of winning a prize are pretty high. Get those pens finished and submitted!

sbwertz

Are my blind turners eligible for this? Can I put it in under my name for them because most of them cannot use a computer? (That is how we did it once before.)

Last edited:

D.Oliver

Alright ladies and gentlemen, I am currently doing a discount double check with Curtis to ensure that all entries are accounted for and then we will start the voting (hopefully this evening or tomorrow morning). Thank you for all that entered pens this year.

Ric

Contest for Turning Challenged

I Like your humour Derek. I took the quiz & answered yes to three of those questions. Too bad I was not available earlier to read your post, I could have just possibly entered the contest.
However, when I first saw your thread I thought that "Turning Challenged" refereed to physical impairment, which peaked my interest. Wow, they even have a section for those turners that are physically handicapped, how progressive.
But then it struck me, just because I sit at my lathe & have a few different types of "jigs" to help me out, I do not need preferential treatment or consideration, & neither does anyone else who may be in the same position.
Just don't start considering my "sitting down on the job" as an unfair advantage.
I hope the contest was a roaring success...Too bad I missed it...
Ric.
"IF LIFE HANDS YOU LEMONS...MAKE MOJITOS!":bananen_smilies022:

D.Oliver

That's a great outlook, Ric. Don't despair; The turning challenged contest may very well be back in next years BASH, or the Summer Extravaganza, or both.

Top Bottom