Constructive advice desired first castings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KLJ

KLJ

These three pens are my first attempt at casting. The blue Sierra's are cherry burl pieces. And the stratus is stainless from a flexible pipe. They are cast in Liquid Diamonds.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WarEagle90

Well, Keith, I'm no expert, but they look darn good to me. I'm partial to wood, but the braided tubing is really stepping out of the box and you knocked it out of the park with that one. Great job.

Reactions: KLJ

MRDucks2

Color is great on the cherry pen and the braid is quite nice. As I have been payed with hybrid casting, I have found that I am personally not a fan of the cut edges in the middle. It seems to me the straight lines in the pieces throw things off. It is more difficult to get pieces sized, lined up and cast to minimize the cut edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

I think you did a great job. As mentioned, hybrids look better if they aren't segmented, they just don't seem to flow smoothly if you get what I mean. You knocked the braided one out of the ballpark though.

OZturner

Excellent Stainless Mesh Pen Keith,
I appreciate the Quality of Work, that went into the Blue Sierra's , But they don't do anything for me.
As previously mentioned Jay, I think he has hit the nail on the Head, it is the Segmenting, there doesn't seem any rhyme or reason for it.
Great Finishes, and Photographs.
Regards,
Brian.

George883

Great job on your casting. I agree with some of the posts above about cut lines but still they look great. How was the flex tubing to turn?

KLJ

The flex tubing was easy to turn, I painted the tube black, turned wooden plugs to fit the tube so the epoxy wouldn't get in the tube, stretched the stainless over tube and zip tied it to the round part of the plugs I had left the ends square so it would be in the middle of the form. Used hack saw to cut the ends off, the knocked out the plugs, then sanded the ends on the lathe to square the blank. The liquid diamonds turned real easy, and the rest of it was not as bad as it may sound. I think I saw a article in the library on this. Thanks again for the comments

Top Bottom