Concept Pen in Hemp

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jcm71

jcm71

A hemp farmer I vend with has expressed interest in buying 10 hemp pens from me. Here is a concept pen that will be a gift. It is far from perfect. The laser engraving is a little off center. Easy fix. The blank is slightly concave, and the nib end is slightly under turned. That's because I was experimenting with the laser settings and had to sand the first attempts off. I copied the engraving and flipped the copy vertically and the text horizontally. The copy is on the other side of the clip, so the pen is "ambidextrous".
Ed Brown's warning about turning hemp is spot on. Not for the faint of heart. Drilling is dicey. Recommend step drilling starting with 8mm. This is a 27/64 pen, but I finished with a 14mm brad point. Left a smoother wall and the tubes were still snug. Glue the tubes with epoxy and set aside for a day. Seal the ends with thin CA and knock off the corners before turning. i used the front left corner of a carbide R4 and starting from the rght made a 1/16 inch parting type cut down about1/8 inch. Be sure to retract the insert al the way before moving it to the left for the next plunge. Use a slight downward rake. If you feel a "catch", STOP. Flood the blank with thin CA before continuing. Tedious but it works for me.

Attachments

• 2DC2001C-0F25-4CC2-B1A2-412A4EDE1F18.jpeg
    2DC2001C-0F25-4CC2-B1A2-412A4EDE1F18.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 234
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

I appreciate the suggestions. I have some that has been staring at me daring I give it a go.
Also, Mark, square with a disc sander vice a pen mill. Go slowly on the drilling, as they have a tendency to split. If they do, put some medium CA in the crack and clamp for an hour or so. Make sure you have a clean floor before you start. If you have a blow out, easier to find the piece and glue it back in with some of the sawdust. These things are finickier than Apple Harvest blanks. Recommend going down to 1/16" proud and sanding the rest of the way.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Also, Mark, square with a disc sander vice a pen mill. Go slowly on the drilling, as they have a tendency to split. If they do, put some medium CA in the crack and clamp for an hour or so. Make sure you have a clean floor before you start. If you have a blow out, easier to find the piece and glue it back in with some of the sawdust. These things are finickier than Apple Harvest blanks. Recommend going down to 1/16" proud and sanding the rest of the way.
Got it! I do appreciate the hints. They will be appreciated. ;)

Top Bottom