Computer Security

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I use Total Defense Premium on my new computer and it ran through a total computer scan the other night and I checked the report and was amazed about the amount of blocked web sites and devious malware hits that it blocked over a little over 8 months that I owned computer. Just goes to show you what attacks are thrown at you each and everyday on the internet. I will be keeping this program. I am satisfied with what I am able to see. Maybe things are getting through but I see no ill effects so far. I am sure the computer techys here can speak to it better than I but glad I have some sort of protection on this thing. What a world we live in. Just throwing this out there.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I have a spam blocker but I get the same things every day. They just change addresses. Got tired of blocking so I just delete them and go on. Can't figure out how I get some regular ads or websites that I subscribe to; part are in the Inbox and some in the Spam folder.

BULLWINKLE

I use Total Defense Premium on my new computer and it ran through a total computer scan the other night and I checked the report and was amazed about the amount of blocked web sites and devious malware hits that it blocked over a little over 8 months that I owned computer. Just goes to show you what attacks are thrown at you each and everyday on the internet. I will be keeping this program. I am satisfied with what I am able to see. Maybe things are getting through but I see no ill effects so far. I am sure the computer techys here can speak to it better than I but glad I have some sort of protection on this thing. What a world we live in. Just throwing this out there.
I use Nord VPN. It reroutes and heavily encrypts your data. Goes through a server in another country, sort of like remailing service. I selected a country with very strict privacy laws. It changes your IP address so it eliminates trackers and spam as well as pop ups. The service keeps nothing on their server, so spammers aren't able to know who you are, nor sell your information or send you spam. Works great.

penicillin

Responding to John @jttheclockman (helpful to others, too):

When you look at a webpage, the content rarely comes from only one system on the internet. What you see on the screen is an aggregation of content from multiple sources around the world. For example, website advertisements may come from "sketchy" sources, unbeknownst to the website owner. The website owner relies on another company's advertising server to choose which ads you see. The software that John installed will block potentially sketchy or malicious content, a good thing.

Please keep in mind that hackers know all this, so they take advantage of the lag between when a sketchy server first appears, when it is identified by your security software provider, and when the information finally makes it to everyone's security software. The software is far from a perfect shield. Use common sense "safe surfing" practices, please.

For Everyone:

There are multiple topics going on here, and the differences may be confusing for John and others:
  • What John found in the logs from his all-encompassing security software product.
    • John's (@jttheclockman) original post about the logs provided by Total Defense Premium a combined security software package that includes antivirus, anti-malware, firewall, anti-spam, and remote backup features.
  • Ad blocking.
    • Allan's (@AllanS) post about an ad blocker for web surfing. Blocking ads is different than blocking sketchy websites, although there is overlap. I suspect that most of the blocked websites in John's log were advertisements in web pages, hence the overlap.
  • Spam email blocking.
    • @Woodchipper's comment about spam blocking, which is related to the original post, because Total Defense Premium offers some kind of anti-spam capability. John did not comment about that.
  • Virtual Private Networks (VPN). It is essentially unrelated to the rest of this thread.
    • Dave's (@BULLWINKLE) comment about Nord VPN above. This is privacy and security related, but has little to do with the other posts. In simple terms, a VPN makes it appear that your internet activity is coming from another location (anywhere in the world), not your "home" internet connection. It also hides your internet activity from your internet service provider (ISP). This is very different than any of the other discussions above, and the thread hasn't grown yet.
I like and admire John a lot, but he would be the first to admit that he is not a computer expert. He learns more about computers and the internet every day, and probably wishes that he did not have to learn it. I am writing this to say that you should take John's endorsement of Total Defense Premium with a grain of salt and do your own careful research, including a good look at their competitors' offerings.

Last edited:

penicillin

Personal note, addendum:

I have some small experience related to technology and security. I belong to several websites like penturners.org where the focus is far from those topics. I try to jump in and help when such threads appear to point out the nuances, add clarity, and correct erroneous statements.

The truth is that I see a lot of misinformation related to these topics on websites whose primary focus is not technology and security. People mean well, but sometimes they don't know what they don't know, but offer advice anyway. Keep that in mind as you read those threads.

Welcome to the internet!

Last edited:

BULLWINKLE

Responding to John @jttheclockman (helpful to others, too):

When you look at a webpage, the content rarely comes from only one system on the internet. What you see on the screen is an aggregation of content from multiple sources around the world. For example, website advertisements may come from "sketchy" sources, unbeknownst to the website owner. The website owner relies on another company's advertising server to choose which ads you see. The software that John installed will block potentially sketchy or malicious content, a good thing.

Please keep in mind that hackers know all this, so they take advantage of the lag between when a sketchy server first appears, when it is identified by your security software provider, and when the information finally makes it to everyone's security software. The software is far from a perfect shield. Use common sense "safe surfing" practices, please.

For Everyone:

There are multiple topics going on here, and the differences may be confusing for John and others:
  • What John found in the logs from his all-encompassing security software product.
    • John's (@jttheclockman) original post about the logs provided by Total Defense Premium a combined security software package that includes antivirus, anti-malware, firewall, anti-spam, and remote backup features.
  • Ad blocking.
    • Allan's (@AllanS) post about an ad blocker for web surfing. Blocking ads is different than blocking sketchy websites, although there is overlap. I suspect that most of the blocked websites in John's log were advertisements in web pages, hence the overlap.
  • Spam email blocking.
    • @Woodchipper's comment about spam blocking, which is related to the original post, because Total Defense Premium offers some kind of anti-spam capability. John did not comment about that.
  • Virtual Private Networks (VPN). It is essentially unrelated to the rest of this thread.
    • Dave's (@BULLWINKLE) comment about Nord VPN above. This is privacy and security related, but has little to do with the other posts. In simple terms, a VPN makes it appear that your internet activity is coming from another location (anywhere in the world), not your "home" internet connection. It also hides your internet activity from your internet service provider (ISP). This is very different than any of the other discussions above, and the thread hasn't grown yet.
I like and admire John a lot, but he would be the first to admit that he is not a computer expert. He learns more about computers and the internet every day, and probably wishes that he did not have to learn it. I am writing this to say that you should take John's endorsement of Total Defense Premium with a grain of salt and do your own careful research, including a good look at their competitors' offerings.
Other things that you can do…. Don't use Google. If you have an account, cancel it. Same for Yahoo etc. Use DuckDuckGo as a browser. Don't use Google mail or @Hotmail.com etc. They have complete access to your information. You gave it to them when you signed up. Same is true for social media. An oxymoron. Nothing social about it. Facebook,Twitter etc sells your information to scammers, spammers and others who pay for the information. All nice and legal since you agreed to it. We shouldn't have to block this though. It shouldn't be allowed. Yet it is. 1984 came a little behind schedule but….. it's here now.
Just one example of what I'm saying….
Here's the security statement from Facebook as just one example. This is what you agree to when you click the little box to agree, without doing some homework first. And you wonder why you get so much spam, phishing and 3rd party advertising. They access your contacts, financial information, search history and purchases to name just a few.

Attachments

• 35F3CBE5-19CE-4F3E-9A72-A2F28611DA1E.png
    35F3CBE5-19CE-4F3E-9A72-A2F28611DA1E.png
    181.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

rixstix

I hate spam/junk mail and today, I still receive email to an address that was only used in 2 places on the entire internet: this forum and 1 supplier. My assumption is 1 of the 2 were compromised. That same supplier also does not honor their unsubscribe requests so maybe they sold, rented, leased their customer base to unvetted entities. Shame on anyone who does this.

I have used vendorname@mypersonaldomain.com for 10+ years.

Another scarey ... we disable all microphones on every device possible in the house. We have talked about researching items while watching TV. Crap, commercials start on TV within 24 hours. FB news feed shows ads seemingly within minutes. The mic on the streaning remote cannot be disabled.

Wife requests online info. Next day, ads on TV for the company she requested info.... every commercial interval for at least 7 days. Guess which company did not get our business

Last edited:

BULLWINKLE

I hate spam/junk mail and today, I still receive email to an address that was only used in 2 places on the entire internet: this forum and 1 supplier. My assumption is 1 of the 2 were compromised. That same supplier also does not honor their unsubscribe requests so maybe they sold, rented, leased their customer base to unvetted entities. Shame on anyone who does this.

I have used vendorname@mypersonaldomain.com for 10+ years.

Another scarey ... we disable all microphones on every device possible in the house. We have talked about researching items while watching TV. Crap, commercials start on TV within 24 hours. FB news feed shows ads seemingly within minutes. The mic on the streaning remote cannot be disabled.

Wife requests online info. Next day, ads on TV for the company she requested info.... every commercial interval for at least 7 days. Guess which company did not get our business
I don't use Alexa or similar devices. It's like bugging yourself. Ironically, they can hear everything said and don't need a warrant since you bugged your own house. Isn't technology wonderful ? I disabled Siri on my iPhone for the same reason. Convenience is not a valid reason to surrender your right to privacy.

jrista

How often do you download and install things off the internet? This is one of the greatest risks, really...unless you know for sure the site you are downloading from, and what you are downloading, is secure, the general assumption should be that its not. You would be amazed at how many sites and things you can download online that are totally compromised, infected with malware, rootkits, trojans, etc. It is best to avoid installing anything from arbitrary sites on the internet. If you need drivers, it is best to go to the hardware manufacturer's site directly yourself, and download from the source, rather than use third-party driver sites, or driver "investigation" tools (which are pretty much always trojan horses) to find and install "better" drivers, etc. Its also best to avoid utilities and the like, and if you do really need any, it is best to download only from the software developer's site directly.

The other big risk is email, and all the phishing and other malicious emails. Never click links in emails, those can easily be compromised. Sadly, a lot of emails, even from legitimate senders, use third party tracking services that links actually route to first, where they track you, what you clicked on and when, and those sites are often compromised and there is the potential you can get malware from them as well, silently and unbeknownst to you, before you actually get to the website you were expecting. You won't even know this is happening most of the time, as it usually just takes a fraction of a second or so, and you won't usually notice the various different urls you are routed through before you get to the site you were trying to get to.

You can end up riddled with malware in a matter of days or weeks, it doesn't even take months, if you aren't careful.

One other thing to be aware of...sadly, a lot of anti-malware software these days is so egregious themselves, that they can bog down your computer, install their own rootkits (which is no better than a malware rootkit, and those themselves can sometimes become compromised), and they can be so over-bearing on scanning every activity that your computer can come to a crawl. I avoid McAffee, Norton, basically the "big ones" that you might think are the most trustworthy, are usually the worst from a "bog your system down to unusable levels".

I've been using SpyHunter for a while myself. It has never bogged my system down or anything, its scans are low usage and it is very good about finding issues. It has good quarantining, and its heuristics are quite good at detecting potential new (and yet unknown to the security community) viruses (although all such heuristic algorithms can have false positives, nature of the beast.) I can't speak to Total Defense, as I've never used it, but if you find it bogs your system down, there are options out there that will provide solid security without sucking up all your computer's resources. (SpyHunter is not the only one, but I use it on several computers now, and I usually forget its there as it has no impact to the performance of any of my computers, laptop or desktop.)

TDahl

Other things that you can do…. Don't use Google. If you have an account, cancel it. Same for Yahoo etc. Use DuckDuckGo as a browser. Don't use Google mail or @Hotmail.com etc. They have complete access to your information. You gave it to them when you signed up. Same is true for social media. An oxymoron. Nothing social about it. Facebook,Twitter etc sells your information to scammers, spammers and others who pay for the information. All nice and legal since you agreed to it. We shouldn't have to block this though. It shouldn't be allowed. Yet it is. 1984 came a little behind schedule but….. it's here now.
Just one example of what I'm saying….
Here's the security statement from Facebook as just one example. This is what you agree to when you click the little box to agree, without doing some homework first. And you wonder why you get so much spam, phishing and 3rd party advertising. They access your contacts, financial information, search history and purchases to name just a few.
Definitely agree with using DuckDuckGo as a browser. Proton Mail is also a good email service as it encrypts everything.

End-user beware....nothing is really for free!

BULLWINKLE

Definitely agree with using DuckDuckGo as a browser. Proton Mail is also a good email service as it encrypts everything.

End-user beware....nothing is really for free!
I've used Proton email for a long time. I'm thinking about changing my vpn to Proton as well.

Top Bottom