Compressor recommendation

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

I need to get a compressor and need some recommendations. My "shop" is in the basement, furnace room actually, so I need something that is as quiet as possible so I don't drive my wife and son nuts with the noise. I have limited space to work with so I also don't want or even need some monster, although I can see that a larger air receiver would have advantages in that the compressor wouldn't have to run as often.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Gerry, I'm by no means an expert, but this is what I know. I just bought the first compressor I found on sale about 8 years ago. I didn't really know anything about them and am sorry I didn't do a little more research. I still use it, but wish I had bought one that had more CFM (cubic feet per minute). If you intend to use any pneumatic tools at all, you'll need it. Otherwise the compressor will stay in "run" mode and still not be able to keep up. There are a number of small sized, high CFM and high PSI (what you want) compressors on the market. HF even has some, and they should do fine. The larger the tank, the more you can pull from it w/o cycling the compressor on and off, so get the largest you have space (and $$$ for). BTW, I don't know of such a thing as a "quite" compressor.

If you intend to spray finishes with it, get a oil/moisture trap (also available from HF) as either of these will ruin a finish.

gerryr

Thanks Cav and Billy. I only plan to use it for cleaning sanding dust from blanks, casting PR, powdercoating and blowing out the drip irrigation system. I could just keep using my 10 gallon air tank, but it's approaching an age when it needs to be replaced and the more uses I find for air, the more frequently I need to refill it, which makes it age faster. Do I need a moisture trap for powder coating?

Jerryconn

You do need a moisture seperator for PC work, but you really need one for just about anything you do. Moisture cannot be tolerated when you are doing any type of painting. I think 5 CFM is the minimum for most air tools. Otherwise what Billy said is a good guide. Especially the part about a quiet compressor. [:D]

alamocdc

That should do what you need, Gerry. Mine's only 4 cfm, and like I said, it's a bit weak. Do they just list the scfm, or do they have a separate cfm? According to one source, the "s" stands for Standard, but there's nothing standard about it and it's basically a useless reference that may or may not equate to actual cfm.

An "SCFM" (standard cubic foot per minute) is a CFM produced with input air at 68 deg F, 36 percent RH, and 14.7 psia pressure (the mere letters "SCFM" refer to no official standard, and while various temperature and RH values are in use, these are the most commonly accepted values). "Displacment CFM" is the rate of volume displaced by a reciprocating piston compressor, which is compared to the delivered CFM to evaluate volumetric efficiency. "Peak horsepower" typically means the electrical power drawn by the motor at the instant of starting; this figure is a meaningless specification because it says next to nothing about the sustainable horsepower delivered by the system. "Peak horsepower" most definitely does not mean anything like "what you get if you run this unit full throttle", "what the motor can deliver for short periods of time", or "what the motor can do if heavily loaded". Also, rated CFM at "90 psi" can really mean the inflated value measured from the CFM input during a pump-up from 0 to 90 psi. Such trickery is what you get in the absence of well-defined engineering testing standards and methods, which is to say, "consumer" mentality. This applies to larger systems like the 5 HP 80-gallon units common in auto repair shops, just as well as the homeowner models.

And

Rules of thumb:

A good compressor, per true HP, will deliver about 4 true CFM at 100 psig.
The tank should be sized to be at least 1 gallon of volume per CFM of the compressor.
Uncooled compressed air is hot, as much as 250 to 350 deg F!
Many tools require more CFM at 90 psi than what is physically possible to get from the power available through a 120 VAC outlet. If you don't observe this physical reality, then either your tool won't run right, or you won't be able to run it at a decent duty cycle.
Beware also, that the CFM figure given as the required air power on many tools (e.g., air chisels/hammers, sandblasters) is for an absurdly low duty cycle. You just can't run these constantly on anything but a monster compressor, but the manufacturer still wants you to believe you can, so you will buy the tool.

Jerryconn

I think the tank is kinda of small, I have one compressor that I use for nail guns paint spraying air tools, etc. it's 5HP I think 5.5CFM and a 20 gallons tank. Then I have another that I use for small guns (i.e. pin nailer, stapler) and to keep the chips clear and the bit cool when I'm drilling, that one has a 4 gal tank and it runs about every 45 seconds to a minute when I'm using it the clear chips. It really depends on what you want to do now and in the future. If you ever want to use air drills, sanders, etc. you'll want the bigger compressor/tank.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Gerry,

I have the advantage of having a Grizzly store 15 minutes from the house. I got this compressor from them. http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0470

For my needs, cleaning blanks, airing up car tires, and using my nail gun, it is sufficient. I like the portability of it, but it does cycle on and off a bit when using it. One factor about a larger one perhaps could be less cycling on during use so you bother the family less.

DocStram

Gerry,
I bought a Campbell Hausfeld Compressor (oil). Actually, I had some questions about how much compressor I really needed so i called CH's toll free number (1-800-543-6400). The technician I spoke with was really helpful. Then, as it turned out, he said he would check his stock for any refurbs that they had. The refurb I bought was never actually used and I got a terrific deal on it. You may wanna give them a call.
Good luck!

woodwish

I would agree with what William said above- avoid the oil-less models. They don't seem to work as well and are a lot louder. I started with one and I would jump every time it kicked on. Have large single-stage oil-type model now, much more efficient and quieter. You may also consider building some sort of enclosure out of styrofoam sheets (Blue Board or something similar, line the inside with a loose insulation like fiberglass batts, and allow a baffle to let in the air. Really can knock down the noise.

Randy_

I have a unit very similar to William's and for airing up tires, blowing around dust and a bradgun/stapler it works just fine. Got it from PEPBOYS for about a hundred bucks. It probably doesn't have quite enough SCFM for a big paint gun or a high volume air tool like a sander. I see that Harbor Freight has come out with a new model that runs at 1750 RPMs rather than the standard 3450 RPMs. Might be a little quieter and might be more long lived?? If you have a HF store close by, it might be worth a visit to look at one.

Thumbs

Go down to Sears, buy one, take it home....... If it doesn't work or suit you, take it back.....

You'll likely find somebody there who can help you choose one, and I'm pretty sure their return policy is as good as anybody's.

gerryr

Well, I think I found one, on sale at my local HF for $149.99 plus I have a 20% off coupon.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47065

gerryr

I don't remember now, but I think someone posted a link to it here and it's been sitting on my desk for a least a couple months. I'm glad I forogt about it when I bought my pressure pot.

Randy_

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I don't remember now, but I think someone posted a link to it here and it's been sitting on my desk for a least a couple months. I'm glad I forogt about it when I bought my pressure pot.

You better check that coupon. IIRC, the have exp dates and usually are good for only a short period of time.

Randy_

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I don't remember now, but I think someone posted a link to it here and it's been sitting on my desk for a least a couple months. I'm.....

Gerry: I think that might have been me. As I recall, the link didn't work and I actually posted a copy of the coupon. Unfortunately, I can't find that post now. It seems that HF hasn't been sending out 20% coupons lately. If we can find that old thread and the coupon does not have an exp. date, some others may get use from it as well??

Thumbs

Just an FYI:

There is a nice article in "American Woodworker", September issue, about the purchase and use of small air compressors that might be worth looking at before you spend your money. Also some notes about plumbing your shop with airline so you can remotely site a noisy but more useful compressor.

FWIW.......

Randy_

Originally posted by Jerryconn
<br />Gerry
I was looking for a coupon last night to help with a purchase, where did you get yours??
Thanks

I just got one by email today. Try this:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/emails/display.do?fname=37_retailG.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom